9mm WTF is this???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve ran across several of these when picking up brass. Another reason to always inspect your brass before reloading.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if that's a way to increase the pressure? Or make the pressure come up quicker?
The same amount of powder in a smaller volume?

Like using a bicycle pump on a bike tire vs a car tire maybe?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reloading for years and never seen this before. I'm gonna toss this case and hope I don't see it again.
That kinda hard to believe as much as you shoot. I see them all the time and don't go through near the rounds you do. But yea, toss them. The internal volume is much less and will raise your pressure pretty drastically. A 3/8-24 tap is about perfect for digging out the ring left in your chamber when they seperate. Those things are 10 times worse than SPP .45 brass.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That kinda hard to believe as much as you shoot. I see them all the time and don't go through near the rounds you do. But yea, toss them. The internal volume is much less and will raise your pressure pretty drastically. A 3/8-24 tap is about perfect for digging out the ring left in your chamber when they seperate. Those things are 10 times worse than SPP .45 brass.

The picture shows a head stamp of Maxxtech. Have you seen this in other brass? I pickup range brass for reloading and I’m looking for a quick way to sort these out of the mix.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The picture shows a head stamp of Maxxtech. Have you seen this in other brass? I pickup range brass for reloading and I’m looking for a quick way to sort these out of the mix.
I don't know of a way to sort them easily. I always stand my brass up in a 13 x 9 cake pan to lube them. These stand out like a flashing runway light so I can pick them out. ETA: These cases are the primary reason I do stand them up to lube them, otherwise I'd just use a ziplock bag.

Maxxtech and FM are the common head stamps but there is a couple more that I don't recall. FM is Freedom Munitions. They quit making it sometime back so I've heard.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The original ones in the post, I have only seen with a Maxxtech stamp. The IMT, FM, and Ammoland versions are the same (but different from the Maxxtech case). I think ammoland was a FM product also. And I think IMT was the OEM of the brass.

There is also a bunch of FM stamped brass plated steel case ammo.

I’m not a fan of Freedom Munitions at all.

Edit. I’ve only seen the above brass in 9mm. I’m not sure if it exists in any other caliber.

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all - I loaded up a thousand rounds two days ago. I just went through them and found one Maxxtech. I’ll break it apart and see what might be lurking. After cleaning I inspect the outside of the case for damage and use a go/no-go gauge on the primer pocket. Thanks to this post I will be adding interior inspection to my brass prep routine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom