9vs40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have friend on that keeps after me to come over and check into match shooting I just got into hand guns the last couple years still pretty new to me but want to become better something that I have always wanted to do just not quite good enough yet to feel comfortable doing it

The best way to get better is to 1. Get GOOD training and 2. Shoot with someone better than you (competition). You have to push yourself; even a friendly informal match is better than just throwing rounds down range at paper. Go shoot some matches; you’ll see.

And as far as did you mess up getting rid of the 40? Nah; the G19 is one solid gun and as 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper, you can shoot more and more often. You did good. But as others have stated; if you want to go with 40, then go with it. You know, if it boosts your confidence it’s a good thing.

Personally, I’d love to have big enough hands to tote around a Gen 4 G21; I dig the .45 auto cartridge a lot...but I’m confident that my G19 (or the G43 I most often carry) stoked up with Federal 124 gr HST rounds or Speer Gold Dots, also in124 gr, will do the job if needed.

After all, the difference in power and all among 9, 40, and 45 is really not that much; remember that we’re talking about handguns here; handguns are marginally effective compared to a rifle; say one of those horrible assault weapons in 5.56 or 223 or even (gasp...in .308) that can stop a rabid charging rhino with one shot! Rhinos can get rabies...right? That would be a purty dangerous beast, if you can’t shoot ‘em, you might have to go check out something like Kung fu videos on YouTube or something so you can learn how to karate chop him before he sticks that 18” horn through your sternum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason .40 is shot in competition more than 9mm is because of the scoring. 9mm is always scored minor for the most part where you have to be more accurate with hits in the "A" zone vs the .40 which is almost always scored major.
You can have a shot or two in the "c" zone with a .40 and score just as well as somebody that has all "A" zone hits using the 9mm.
There are exceptions to ^^^^^^, but that is just a generality of how USPSA matches are scored.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Less faith in internet caliber "wisdom," more actual shooting, and if you want to see how effective(?) handguns are, hunt wild pigs with them. Real "moment of insight" when you plant 6 .357 in a pig's chest and he keeps trying to eat the dogs.....FINALLY bleeds out

Train and practice to shoot, hit where it counts, and be prepared to keep shooting.

D.M.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the update. Nice to hear the final outcome.
Good idea to carry it with the .40 barrel, not because .40 is any better.
Just look down into the slide and look at the ejector on the 19 then the 23,
the angle is a lot different between them.
I think I would want to replace the ejector if I wanted to go 9 in the 23.
But for range use, who cares?

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the update. Nice to hear the final outcome.
Good idea to carry it with the .40 barrel, not because .40 is any better.
Just look down into the slide and look at the ejector on the 19 then the 23,
the angle is a lot different between them.
I think I would want to replace the ejector if I wanted to go 9 in the 23.
But for range use, who cares?
That’s about al I’m going to use the 9 for is range use I carried the 19 for about a month but it just kept bugging me not sure why just did I guess I have too many Leo friends lol

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to carry my G23 with a 9mm barrel a whole lot simply because I had more 9mm self defense ammo and it wouldnt bother me to shoot a yard critter with it. Now I am almost out of 9mm and have more .40 so I havent used my 9mm barrel in a year or two. I have probably well over 1000 rounds through that conversion barrel with not one problem so it dont bother me to carry it except for the fact that its a puny little 9mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom