9x19 "Wadcutter"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever tried this? I read about it somewhere, and thought it was worth a shot.

NOTE: I have NO idea if this load is within SAAMI specs, so try at home at your own risk.

I usually load my 124gr LRN bullets over 3.4gr Bullseye, for a very soft shooting 9mm in my Sig 228. After thinking about it, I turned them around, seated them backwards just past the lube groove. This left about 1/16" showing above the edge of the case. I started with just 1 @ 3.4 grs, and 2 @ 3.2 grs.

I was as curious as anything if they would even cycle in the gun. All three rounds cycled the gun, but neither load locked the slide back. I loaded up 10 more of the 3.2 gr loads, seated the same, and shot them. Again, no jams. Not as clean of holes as I had hoped in the target paper, but seemed to be accurate and consistent, so I don't think they are tumbling. I shot all 10 rounds from 10 yards.

Here's what they looked like.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

This picture shows just how short they are, in the mag. There's 10 in there, tried to get them to be visible, but no luck.
[Broken External Image]

Like I said, they cycled and shot!

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, kind of makes sense. I think it was S&W that made a .38 spcl single stack semi-auto that was designed for the wadcutter.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but the real question is why? If the answer is because I can and am curious, then you are a true reloader...I do the same, but is there benefit I don't know about and should? thanks, JL

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Far as I can tell, no benefit. Just because I can, and I was curious! LOL! I was hoping to get nice sharp holes in the paper, but I don't think they were going fast enough to do that. I might try some more today at the little higher powder level, 3.4gr.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol go fiugre hahaha

U should see if J&K would make u some 9x19 wadcutters that way u dont have the little end inside the case.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have some 148gr LWC for .38, but I don't have a .356 sizer die. Also, the end of the bullet would be sticking out of the case a long ways.

I wonder....

Euclid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I'm impressed that they cycled our of your pistol. It shows how reliable the SIG design is.

BTW, I've seen other do this with .38 Special loads. Why? I know not.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The .38 spl wadcutter design is a target load, and is designed to cut very neat holes in the paper. With the right load, they are also accurate for short distances. (pistol range)

Latest posts

Top Bottom