A 1911 question for all the purists...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are nice but a little rich for my blood. I have always had good luck with Mecgar mags.

https://www.ebay.com/p/28030649214

I would say a solid second option if you run into a magazine that just will not cooperate is to verify the magazine tube measurements. If the overall dimensions and feed lips check out and there are no burrs, you can also just pick up the replacement spring and follower from Wilson Combat for your existing magazine tubes. Springs and followers are really the only thing I have found where manufacturers take some liberty with their designs. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than throwing your existing mags in the trash and paying $45 for a replacement.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I do need to buy for sure is a barrel bushing wrench. Then I need to see if I still have that mesh onion bag I used for disassembly. :P :P :P

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with others that the mags are likely the issue and it appears you have figured that out too. I agree that you should not polish the feed ramp. Polishing the feed ramp is a terribly overused suggestion and is rarely needed. The other big item that can be an issue is an extractor that is not properly champfered. This is common on new pistols. Since a 1911 is a controlled feed action the round can get hung up when trying to go under the extractor and will nose dive into the ramp.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of Kimber haters out there. I'm not one of them. The only issue I had with mine was a faulty Chip McCormick Magazine which they (Chip McCormick) replaced and had nothing to do with Kimber. The factory Kimber (MecGar) mags and Wilson mags, as well as the replacement Chip McCormick mag have run flawlessly. I did replace my guide rod and spring before ever shooting it simply because of the bull barrel design and you can use the Wilson Combat spring/guide rod to take it down without tools. With the factory bull barrel and guide rod setup you gotta use a little pick (like a paper clip) to take the gun apart and the Wilson Combat setup "fixes" that.
I've not shot a huge variety through it, I basically buy in bulk and shoot the same stuff through it. It has always fed Winchester White Box 230gr ball, Remington UMC 230gr JHP and Federal 230gr HydraShok.

Super Carry Pro HD
4" bull barrel, no Schwartz Safety, Round butt, all Stainless
Kimber SCPHD.jpg

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I do need to buy for sure is a barrel bushing wrench. Then I need to see if I still have that mesh onion bag I used for disassembly. :P :P :P
I have a ridiculous number of 1911 mags. PM me your address, and I can help you out with a couple that are “proven” in my guns. I probably have an extra barrel wrench too.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is precisely why when I fit a thumb safety, I am very careful to leave a little more meat to make sure it is a very positive click on/off safety. I think mine has more to do with being a lefty so there is a safety paddle exposed to bumping outside the holster in addition to the one against my hip. Once I finally get workbenches built in the new garage (lumber prices aren't making it too attainable right now) My first plan is to go back and rework the left paddle on my ambi safeties to reduce them a fair amount to keep them operable for weak hand operation, but much less prominent.
Precisely what I want to do to my 1911. It has an oversized safety and I need to bob it a bit as the holster has sometimes flicked the safety off. That's why I don't carry it right now. If a weapon isn't 100%, it's in the drawer. I also need to make it a positive click.

Latest posts

Top Bottom