A Change in EDC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have worn suspenders for years to keep my trousers up, I also wear a belt to have somethign to attach my holster(s) to.

Yup. Me too. I've always said that there are two types of fat boys...those that wear suspenders and those that should.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My EDC is a 640-1 which isn’t exactly light, but I hardly ever notice that it’s there anymore. Just out of curiosity, why did he recommend that you try the 610?
It was a revolver class and Cunningham seemed to favor the 10.

I'm good with and prefer wheel guns and I like the 10mm cartridge as well, so, to me, it was the best of both worlds.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I took Grant Cunningham's Threat Centered Revolver course in Phoenix about three years back, he suggested that I might want to try carrying this.

thumbnail_img_0103-jpg.139266

It is an S&W model 610 wheel gun in 10mm Auto /40 S&W. It has been under consideration as an EDC for quite a while, but for myriad reasons I was not able to make the change until recently. I am accurate with it and the weight tends to tame the recoil of the 10mm round. The moon clips make reloading quite fast and the 10mm round's ballistics make me think that it would be a good fight-stopper.

The disadvantages of the package center around the weight and bulk of the revolver itself. There is a lot of weight to carry and for some, the size of the N-frame makes it hard to conceal. I'm a big guy so the size is less of a factor for me than it may be for others.

In any event, I've decided to give the 610 a try as my EDC and see how it works.

Thoughts?
My thoughts pretty much boil down to 10mm isn’t a fight stopper. Neither is 45 ACP, 357, 9mm etc. People can take a **** ton of damage, but they can’t take it to specific areas. Carry whatever tickles your fancy as long as it’s reliable, meets the commonly accepted penetration minimums, and you can hit well with it. Fast.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts pretty much boil down to 10mm isn’t a fight stopper. Neither is 45 ACP, 357, 9mm etc. People can take a **** ton of damage, but they can’t take it to specific areas. Carry whatever tickles your fancy as long as it’s reliable, meets the commonly accepted penetration minimums, and you can hit well with it. Fast.
Are you waiting for me to agree with you?

What you say is true, insofar as any handgun round goes. You are also correct in saying that what really counts is where you hit not what you hit with. About the only advantage the bigger rounds have is a slight increase in the margin for error. Even though it has been a while since I have done any shooting, (and I have got to get back into it) I am a pretty fair shot with revolvers. My 610 is reliable with a very smooth action, and in the past, I was pretty accurate with it.

This is something of an experiment. Other N-frames I have carried worked well in the shooting department, so I have no reason to think that my 610 won't do as well as they did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom