A Good Home Builder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're thinking of moving and have looked at the Taber homes. I've read a few complaints on the internet but I had to bear in mind that if someone isn't happy they squawk and those that are happy don't make mention of it much. Maybe that is why they have a Taber complaint forum on Facebook?? If I buy in a community that is owned by Taber and they are preparing to build, I doubt if I can buy a lot there and have my own home built by another builder?? Got to get into a smaller home, it's more reasonable all the way around, utilities, maintenance, cleaning, insurance etc. Are the complaints about Taber true or does anyone really know?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Taber has built a lot of homes and no matter what you do you cannot make everyone happy. I have heard both good and bad about the Company.
John Nail used to be good but I have not had any dealings with him in 12 or so years ... Good luck.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drive by where they are building something, especially so at the framing stage. A couple of years ago, we were helping our son to search for a home to buy. NOT that they were Taber homes, but we did find a builder with studs set at 24" centers instead of 16", and they were NOT 2"x6" studs. In other words, look for evidence of shortcuts made by the contractors.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if the complaints are true, I've never been in a Tabor home, but something went wrong, they have unhappy customers, and if you're a builder why aren't you trying to make people happy? Stay away from the 50+ homes a year builders, they don't care if you're happy, people are standing in line to buy their crap. They have the worst subs, the cheapest crappiest materials, they only build good enough to pass code, bare minimum. Everything is either extra or change order. The light fixtures will be from the darkest jungle in China, the carpet, plumbing fixtures will be the same, they know every trick in the book, and unless you know building, you won't know what hit you. Find a young builder trying to make a name, tell him just what you expect, but be realistic, no home is 100% perfect. Tell me what area are you wanting to buy in. You're in for a rough ride.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about taber but I would be surprised if you could use another builder in one of their 'communities'.

Nail mentioned above I think builds a nice home, but I doubt per square foot he'd compete with tabor.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if the complaints are true, I've never been in a Tabor home, but something went wrong, they have unhappy customers, and if you're a builder why aren't you trying to make people happy? Stay away from the 50+ homes a year builders, they don't care if you're happy, people are standing in line to buy their crap. They have the worst subs, the cheapest crappiest materials, they only build good enough to pass code, bare minimum. Everything is either extra or change order. The light fixtures will be from the darkest jungle in China, the carpet, plumbing fixtures will be the same, they know every trick in the book, and unless you know building, you won't know what hit you. Find a young builder trying to make a name, tell him just what you expect, but be realistic, no home is 100% perfect. Tell me what area are you wanting to buy in. You're in for a rough ride.
This is 100% correct!!! I’ve worked residential construction for 10yrs

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What Red Dirt Shootist said definitely. Find out if they use the same brick mason on every house too, or if each house is bid out. Once you find that out, go look at their previous jobs. My dad built homes and bricked his own and bricked for other builders on occasion. Take someone with you that knows what they're looking at as well.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're thinking of moving and have looked at the Taber homes. I've read a few complaints on the internet but I had to bear in mind that if someone isn't happy they squawk and those that are happy don't make mention of it much. Maybe that is why they have a Taber complaint forum on Facebook?? If I buy in a community that is owned by Taber and they are preparing to build, I doubt if I can buy a lot there and have my own home built by another builder?? Got to get into a smaller home, it's more reasonable all the way around, utilities, maintenance, cleaning, insurance etc. Are the complaints about Taber true or does anyone really know?

I'd bet a 12 pak of Bud Light you're not going to buy a lot in a planed neighborhood for any assembly line builder. They don't do that.

I think you'll be surprised at what you can purchase a home built by an independent builder as compared to one of the assembly line outfits. Assembly line builders are generally much higher per square foot, but obviously smaller, so total cost is lower. They do that because they have the starter home market cornered, so they can. Independent or custom builders cannot compete with them on 1500-1900 sq ft homes. You just can't do it. They can build 40 before an independent can build 2.

Go look at what is available. Pay attention to the quality. As mentioned above, take someone that is familiar with residential construction or remodel with you when you look. You don't need a real estate agent to get started. Just go look at some model homes, then ask to look at some in the neighborhood that are for sale with the builders representative at the model home. Pay attention to the quality. Look at the fit & finish, just like you would a firearm. Look at the back of the cabinets. Open some windows and doors. Ask if they used steel reinforcement in the concrete. Ask if you can look at one they are about to pour so you can verify. Pay attention to the quality. Ask about options, what will they and what won't they do. They're not going to raise or lower a shower head, and they aren't going to move an electrical plug. They build assembly line homes, their subs aren't looking at the blueprints every day.

Do your due diligence. If you buy an assembly line builder's home, do it with both eyes open and watching, and know what you are or are not purchasing. That's my best advice. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom