A Good Old Fashion High School Beer Bust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Late 60's early 70's is when I dragged main from Sonic north of town to the bowling alley south. We cruised chicks in Cudas, Stingers, Chargers, Demons, Mach 1's, Chevelle SS'sssss, beer, Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill in Sonic cups with crushed ice! Maddog 2020, Cherry Vodka, Everclear and Swisher Sweets. Got run out of a hundred parking lots, parks and lakes. Good times, we thought at the time. I was mostly bored but it beat sitting at home watching Gunsmoke and Beverly Hillbillies.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Late 60's early 70's is when I dragged main from Sonic north of town to the bowling alley south. We cruised chicks in Cudas, Stingers, Chargers, Demons, Mach 1's, Chevelle SS'sssss, beer, Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill in Sonic cups with crushed ice! Maddog 2020, Cherry Vodka, Everclear and Swisher Sweets. Got run out of a hundred parking lots, parks and lakes. Good times, we thought at the time. I was mostly bored but it beat sitting at home watching Gunsmoke and Beverly Hillbillies.

Man I was rocking a 1974 Dodge Dart in the 90s. The classics never go out of style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to drag Riverside in Tulsa then NW 39th in OKC.

Yep; I remember when they put up signs saying "No U-Turns" on NW 39th to keep us from just circling around, looking for chicks or some kind of mischief to get in to. I had a '65 Mustang, Purple, black convertible top, 289 with a 4 speed on the floor. Had a pumpin' 8 -Track in it too. Wrecked that SOB big time; totaled it as a matter of fact, one fine evening looking right when I should have been looking left. Don't remember how much beer was involved. The beating my dad gave me for wrecking that car completely wiped that part out of my head.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dragging main street in my home town was a total of 5 blocks one way.

I'm not talking about how much drinking I did when a heck of a lot younger.

I don't blame you one bit Terry; from what I have heard, you could float a good-sized boat on it! A veritable lake 'o beer!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've wondered what generation was the first to not have a drag. We used to drag Grand Ave back in my day. They'd usually post two or three young cops there every Friday and Saturday to keep the peace and what not. Buddy had an old boat of a Galaxy with a trap door in the back. Get pulled over, drop beer down at the right time, they'd never know.
Dragging Grand was the thing way before your day. We used to pull up to a stoplight on Grand, jump out, open the hood, pull the dipstick, hand it to the driver and then drive off while at the traffic light.
My 55 Ford custom line 272 CI Y Block 8 cylinder with Mondello heads, Crane Cam modified four speed overdrive manual tranny was the king of the 1 block drag race on Grand.
Ponca City still remembers dragging Grand back in the day.
They have a special event every year where the old hot rods can still show up and "drag Grand" down main street.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my friends has a buddy who is (or was, at the time) a cop in Chandler. He told us about busting some Tulsa kids who had apparently been on a beer run.

He pulled the driver out and took him back to the patrol car and told him if he agreed to pour out all the beer, he'd let them go with just a warning; otherwise, he was going to jail until his parents came to get him. The driver agreed to dump the beer, and the cop said he was going to go make the same offer to the other guys in the car.

So he goes to the car, makes them the same offer, and they readily agree.

He goes back to the car, gets in, and with a serious look on his face says, "well, bad news, kid. They said they were keeping the beer, and to take you to jail."

He said the kid just about crapped himself, telling him let him go talk to them, and how he could talk them into pouring out the beer. He the kid was all kinds of relieved when he told him it was a joke, but you've never seen such long faces as when they were pouring out those cases of beer...

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dragging Grand was the thing way before your day. We used to pull up to a stoplight on Grand, jump out, open the hood, pull the dipstick, hand it to the driver and then drive off while at the traffic light.
My 55 Ford custom line 272 CI Y Block 8 cylinder with Mondello heads, Crane Cam modified four speed overdrive manual tranny was the king of the 1 block drag race on Grand.
Ponca City still remembers dragging Grand back in the day.
They have a special event every year where the old hot rods can still show up and "drag Grand" down main street.
We had a game in high school. The dipstick thing reminded me. When we found a guy and girl in the boonies we didn't disturb them but we did "bushwhack" them. We took the guy's gas cap and ran. The next class period we would give his cap back to the girl. Everyone in class knew what had happened because she had to give the cap back to the guy. That was the rule.

Latest posts

Top Bottom