A good "tactical" knife on a budget.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good fixed blade to mount onto my loadout via molle attachment.

I've looked at the ESEE knives, but they are out of my budget ($50).

So I started looking at others. Particularly, the Gerber Prodigy, Gerber Ghoststrike, the Schrade SCHF55 and the Ka-Bar/Becker Eskabar.

Basically, I want a knife at least 7 inches long but no longer than 9 inches. It absolutely has to have a hard plastic molle compatible sheath and, like I said, in the $50 range.

Any ideas? :anyone:

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can swing a little more, you can go with an Ontario RAT series knife, that's where ESEE started... powdercoated 1095 steel, good knives.

You could also go Becker BK5 ($55 on Amazon) (sorry, this is out with your <9", my brain didn't add that into the equation)

Both will benefit from a re-profiled edge, convex is my preference but to each their own.

Last edited:

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Gerber LMF that I picked up at a pawn shop for $25 to do exactly what you are planning. It had the hard plastic sheath but was missing the nylon straps, which had some to do with the cheaper price. Didn't matter to me because I was strapping it to my bag anyway.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon had these HK Dispatch knives on sale for <$50 in the last couple weeks, you could keep an eye out for when they're back in stock. They're $54 HERE (and only 1 left as I'm typing)

Boker Colubris $58

SOG Seal Pup Elite $54

I have zero experience with any of the above knives, but figured they could give you a couple more options, all in different steels and blade designs...

Last edited:

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-BK14-...&qid=1483361693&sr=8-1&keywords=kabar+eskabar
look no further $37, Ive carried the D2 steel version for over a year and its been amazing
a triple knife maker combo
Becker, Esse, and Kabar
www.knife_planet.com_becker_knife_and_tool_becker_knives_ka_bar_bk14_eskabar_neck_knife_boot.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are all good looking blades. I really like the Gerber Prodigy, but the sheath is a deal breaker.

I wish I could tell you how I plan on mounting this, but it's hard to explain. Basically, I'm mounting it on the backside of a VooDoo tactical double M4 pouch with the open top, bungee retention device.

nebula_wsimg_com_obj_QzM1NUU4Q0RFNDBBQTQyOEJBRjE6ZDA4MjA1NjgzMd25424bca277eca16d0acc3011dfa86d.png

Also on the back is a MSM/Tactical Tailor small patch panel/pouch.

milspecmonkey.com_tactical_msm_sm_patchpanel_002.jpg

I was gonna sandwich this blade betwixt the mag pouch and the panel, so a thicker type of sheath like the one the Gerber Prodigy uses is out of the question.

Good ideas guys. Keep 'em coming!

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The HK dispatch is probably the best one mentioned, and it's made by Benchmade with D2 steel. Can't beat that.
It also looks tacticool like the Molle pouches you're attaching it to.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I did some more measuring last night and it seems like anything bigger than 8 inches would be a little too heavy and look just silly.

So. I've kinda narrowed it down to two.

The ESEE Izula 2 and the Ka-Bar Becker BK14 Eskabar.

I know the Izula 2 is a half inch longer. I can deal with that. However...what does the Izula 2 offer that the BK14 doesn't besides jimping on the spine, micarta handles and a bigger price tag?

Because if the Izula 2 is a more superior blade, then I'll do whatever I can to make it happen.

C'mon you Izula owners...dazzle me and prove your knife's worth over the kid from Oleans, NY.

Latest posts

Top Bottom