A Ketchup Shortage? Say it ain't so!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeppers, and if they bring those packets to your table and you don't use them, they get thrown away. Same with other condiments and drinking straws. We always tell the wait staff that we don't need straws.
We always get straws after getting a water glass with lipstick stain still on it more than once in restaurants. Yes, we sent them back.
We went to Pearls seafood restaurant last year. Big sign on the wall saying no more plastic straws to protect the sea turtles.
I didn't know we had sea turtles in Ok, but just shook our heads and ordered.
Later that year we were in South Padre Tx and visited the sea turtle rescue station where one can watch them do surgery and medical care on the turtles injured by props, other critters, etc.
Ordered a soft drink at their snack bar and got plastic straws. Asked one of the docents about the plastic straw thing being a danger to the sea turtle. We got a roll eye and a short explanation that basically said that was BS.
We ate at Pearls a month ago. It appears they are issuing straws again.
Wonder what changed their conviction?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in Reasor's in BA yesterday, virtually no jars of sliced jalapenos of any brand. Big open spot of bare shelves. Strange. I was looking for the Cajun Chef brand in particular to deep fry, they seem to hold the batter better. I still have a few jars left, but getting low.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in Reasor's in BA yesterday, virtually no jars of sliced jalapenos of any brand. Big open spot of bare shelves. Strange. I was looking for the Cajun Chef brand in particular to deep fry, they seem to hold the batter better. I still have a few jars left, but getting low.
Sometimes you can find gallon jars of them on another aisle where they keep the bulk jars of food. Yesterday at the sapulpa store they had a bunch of regular jars and about 4 of the big jars, I like the Mrs Kleins brand I wish I could still get the pickles here.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good think I'm a mayo person, even for my fries. Got away from ketchup when I saw most of its made with high fructose corn syrup.
Shhhh! Don't let the secret out.
You can still buy reloading supplies to make ketchup.
Just need some tomato sauce, plenty of corn syrup and a little salt.
Finding the brass (i.e. bottles and jars) for reloading might be the trick though.
Slap a label on your reloads of ketchup and you can sell without the ATF breathing down your neck.
(Unless they come up with another agency, the Anti-Tomato Federales...)

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really dont need vinegar if you eat it fast enough before it spoils the vinegar is just a preservative to make it keep longer on the shelfs, mom use to make it all the time when we were kids but would only make a small batch at a time

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No high fructose corn syrup in this.
IMG_20210409_004442200.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really dont need vinegar if you eat it fast enough before it spoils the vinegar is just a preservative to make it keep longer on the shelfs, mom use to make it all the time when we were kids but would only make a small batch at a time
We made it a few times years ago. It just didn't have the normal taste without vinegar to me. :anyone:

We also couldn't get the normal taste with artificial sweeteners... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom