A little refrigerator rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son in the DFW area does appliance repair. Samsung, and the other foreign made appliances fail often with parts almost impossible to get for repairs. If they can get the repair parts, how long can you go without a fridge?
He says to go with the GE, Maytag, or whatever as most are built in two or three factories with different names and parts are readily available.
The last one we owned (the 13 year old) we never had a problem before with it. Its funny how every dang thing you buy now a days is disposable. And the thing about them is that they aren’t cheap.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 1994 Maytag fridge still works fine, but the ice maker stopped working.
It does dispense ice just fine, so I buy a bag of cubed ice and dump them in the ice maker bin. It dispenses that just fine.

I also have a counter top ice maker, it works ok, I get most of my ice from it. Best $69.95 I ever spent.

I use the refrigerator ice dispenser when I need more ice then the counter top can make.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my wife talked me into buying a new refrigerator, side by side, stainless steel what ever. Nothing wrong with out 13 year old one, I guess it was a new color thing. Oh well. So we have this new whirlpool fridge delivered, didn’t take me 15 min to install. First of all, manual said to let run for 24 hours before putting anything into it, ok not a problem. 24 hours go buy and I move groceries from old to new. 24 hours later (48 hours total) this thing hasn’t dropped any ice. Well I checked the manual and I said it’s normal. Wtf 48 hours later?? So flash forward 2 months, this thing only drops ice every two and a half hours, 8 cudes total. So I called in on warranty, out came a guy to look at it. After ten minutes of him looking at my machine he told me all looked good. Asked him about dropping a tray of ice every 2.5 hours and he said yup, its normal. He then tells me that ALL refrigerator companies turn down the time and the ice maker inside the fridge is only there for a convenient! He then said it’s away for them to make me buy a new under the counter ice maker. Lol, no sex for the wife for 6 months
Same thing on my new Frigidaire. Repairman said the exact same thing regarding the ice maker. Rip off.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 1994 Maytag fridge still works fine, but the ice maker stopped working.
It does dispense ice just fine, so I buy a bag of cubed ice and dump them in the ice maker bin. It dispenses that just fine.

I also have a counter top ice maker, it works ok, I get most of my ice from it. Best $69.95 I ever spent.

I use the refrigerator ice dispenser when I need more ice then the counter top can make.
There's a few tests you can run on the icemaker itself after removing front decorative cover with just an ohm meter and jumper wire that will tell you what is wrong with it and as long as it isn't the water fill solenoid you can replace just the icemaker fairly easy with a replacement from ebay. Pretty much just plug and play. Already replaced ours within the 11 years we've had it.
I would also recommend using the metal vacuum sealed tumblers for home use as they seem to keep ice the longest. I personally use the RTIC 40oz tumbler since everyone else has 32oz ones, but I'm weird.
https://rticoutdoors.com/Tumblers?n...0eTxzWpOTmO8EYSYgCSxVKeLgDepUk68aAsBfEALw_wcB

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven't done it, you might try turning the freezer temp setting to the lowest setting to trip the icemaker quicker. I also have found the replacement ice makers make way more ice than the originals.
Sounds like that’s what the repairman did because its on the lowest setting, single bar. And he did order another or replacement ice maker. This sounds promising

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neighbors gave me a Samsung side by side with freezer on bottom and ice maker in the fridge.

Said they were tired of chiseling ice in the ice maker.
I kept my other perfectly fine fridge and water was NOT hooked up to this "new" 2017 samsung.

I hate water hooked to the back of a fridge as much as I hate a garbage disposal.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stay away from Samsung. Their ice setup is a total washout. Never will own another
Stay away from Ice and Water in thee door at all on any of them. When I researched refrigerator failures I found that 75% or so of failures were related to the ice and water in the door systems. This was across all models it really didn't matter who manufactured the product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom