A little refrigerator rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Samsungs are nothing but trouble. We bought one of those Hitachi ice makers they have at Sonic so we could have good ice whenever we wanted. It was broken, needed a new float and a good cleaning. So far we've had it 6 years and no problems. Still have ice in the freezer, but the only time it gets used is when I think my coffee is too hot to drink.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our Samsung was as much of a piece of junk as everyone else's. We replaced it about a year or so ago and I didn't even bother hooking up the water to the ice maker in the new one. We've been using a counter top nugget ice maker for like 5 years or longer.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got a new Whirlpool about two years ago and the ice maker works great. I can empty the hopper and it starts making new ice almost immediately. I haven't watched to see how long it takes to refill after I empty it, but I think it's about 24 hours.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We only have Whirlpool, Maytag, or Frigidaire appliances.

Samsung parts are are near unobtanium.

Bought all new appliances in 2019. Ice maker works great. Fills the bin every 24 hours. I dump it into Styrofoam ice chest and use that ice all day.

Bought one of the counter top models for the RV. It makes a good quantity of ice, but it is soft and melts quickly.
We have been happy with it.

2buckets

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
For the last couple of years until I retired in July, we maintained a house here and one in Arizona where I was working. We bought a new Frigidaire for the Oklahoma house and the ice maker couldn’t keep up with the use from two people. We brought in the table top ice maker out of the rv in order to have enough ice.
The Arizona house had a fairly new LG and it always had plenty of ice on hand. The older LG now sits in our Oklahoma kitchen and the Frigidaire was put on the back patio as a backup/beer fridge.
I don’t think I will purchase another Frigidaire product after that

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our Whirlpool sxs fridge is 10 yrs old and ice maker works great.. When it was 1 yr old ice maker was really slow, repairman drilled out plastic inlet valve and works great.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my wife talked me into buying a new refrigerator, side by side, stainless steel what ever. Nothing wrong with out 13 year old one, I guess it was a new color thing. Oh well. So we have this new whirlpool fridge delivered, didn’t take me 15 min to install. First of all, manual said to let run for 24 hours before putting anything into it, ok not a problem. 24 hours go buy and I move groceries from old to new. 24 hours later (48 hours total) this thing hasn’t dropped any ice. Well I checked the manual and I said it’s normal. Wtf 48 hours later?? So flash forward 2 months, this thing only drops ice every two and a half hours, 8 cudes total. So I called in on warranty, out came a guy to look at it. After ten minutes of him looking at my machine he told me all looked good. Asked him about dropping a tray of ice every 2.5 hours and he said yup, its normal. He then tells me that ALL refrigerator companies turn down the time and the ice maker inside the fridge is only there for a convenient! He then said it’s away for them to make me buy a new under the counter ice maker. Lol, no sex for the wife for 6 months
"no sex for the wife for 6 months" You sir are the man we all want to become!!

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i hear nothing but problems from anyone i know who has bought a new anything. i rock old appliances and they seem to keep churning.
my reasoning is, if this thing lasted 20, 30, in some cases (like muh upright freezer i got from a user here for free) 50 or 60 years, i would *bet* it's gonna last me at least 5 or 10 more. and that's all people get out of new ones, so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom