A new flock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Timmy59 I find myself in a bit of a predicament. Remember those Welsh Harlequin ducks I was so proud of snagging last year?? Well ... Yeah ... About "those" ducks ...

I have 5 hens sitting on 5 nests. As best I can count, well over 25 eggs in each nest. :ooh2: Ok, all these girls are first-timers so let's give them the benefit of the doubt and I wind up with even a 50% hatch. That's still A LOT OF DUCK. :lmfao:

Are you interested in any ducklings?? Or know anyone who is?? Otherwise I'm gonna need a lot of recipes using duck. :lmfao::lmfao:

:laugh6: Your ducked I have no need for anymore chitters especially squirters like ducks YUCK.. No stinken geese either.. Thank you very much for your willingness to duck me up though.. I do have a shotty or 2 so when they get enough feathers to fly we can use them for skeet..:pms2: I have a Russian couple buying chicks from us as I hatch them, I'll ask if they'd be interested and if so pass their ph# to ya.. 125 ducklings :laugh6:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
:laugh6: Your ducked I have no need for anymore chitters especially squirters like ducks YUCK.. No stinken geese either.. Thank you very much for your willingness to duck me up though.. I do have a shotty or 2 so when they get enough feathers to fly we can use them for skeet..:pms2: I have a Russian couple buying chicks from us as I hatch them, I'll ask if they'd be interested and if so pass their ph# to ya.. 125 ducklings :laugh6:
A buck a duck![emoji106]

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did 12 chickens this past weekend and netted 34 lbs of chicken parts. These were Delaware chickens. Didn't freeze whole carcasses just cut them into legs, thighs, wings and boneless breast. Have 9 light Brahma chickens to do about the same size. Just have to wait until the potatoes are dug . I can't imagine doing 47 at once. I do have a plucker but still that's a lot of final cleaning.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did 12 chickens this past weekend and netted 34 lbs of chicken parts. These were Delaware chickens. Didn't freeze whole carcasses just cut them into legs, thighs, wings and boneless breast. Have 9 light Brahma chickens to do about the same size. Just have to wait until the potatoes are dug . I can't imagine doing 47 at once. I do have a plucker but still that's a lot of final cleaning.
We lost a meat bird hen, heat, heart attack ? After I bagged her I had to weigh her as she was heavy !! 9 lbs 3 ozs.. That's a lot of hen, I'd about bet the rooster is 13+ lbs and they are some laying fools too. Jumbo eggs at that and they lay as well as the layer flock. They do not forage as well though I'd guess weight related.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with small frame but whole calf going in the freezer/s we had to make room in the freezer/ s . They were full cuz this guy goes overboard putting up chicken. I contacted 1 fellow here and he didn't cook so I hauled it to work. On the way to work I stopped at the local corner store and gave about 5-10 lbs to the man behind the counter. Got to work and the box still weighed between 40-50 lbs.
Made a good many folks at work happy and we have room in the freezer now.. We pay it forward when ever we can and the blessings are returned, Thank you Lord hope they enjoy they're homegrown chicken dinners. When we butchered we gave 10 birds to the neighbor cuz I know I'll have need for him in the future.. Like the OSA community we do our best to take care of those who take care of us..

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rotation time is nearing, we're going to drop the layer flock or white rocks and only keep the meat type birds. The meaties lay every bit as well as the laying flock so we'll stay in eggs. I've got 19 chicks that will start laying before 2022. We'll then sell the retired yearlings on CL. The pen that the layers will have occupied we'll put flock of silkies in for they're maternal instincts. In case the incubator won't run.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1st time we've had chicks in the house. But with the cool WIND we felt it best to safeguard this investment.

Attachments

• 20220411_182537.jpg
    20220411_182537.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220413_085106.jpg
    20220413_085106.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Top Bottom