A pleasant experience...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread an impulse buy I made a day or so ago. Actually, it was not on impulse as much as it seemed. Anyone that has read my threads over the years knows that I am primarily a classic hammer fired, all metal SIG fan. I carry either a P229 Legacy 9mm or P220 Carry SAS .45 depending on my mood. I was introduced to SIGs many years ago when employed as a fed. However, prior to that, for over 20 years I was an Army investigator in MPs, CID and mostly CIC. In those roles I carried a 1911 and for most assignments really carried daily instead of just having one issued to me. My most carried was an issue 5" that had been worked over extensively by an armorer for the AMU. The SIGs are still my favorite and normal carry and it's been a few years since I have owned a 1911. Recently I had been looking at them again, with the idea of a range toy, or maybe Sunday-go-to-meeting gun. I really like Dan Wessons but just couldn't pull the trigger on one due to their price (and I can get them at LE price.) I guess I was just nostalgic. Anyway, I stumbled on a NIB SA Range Officer Elite Champion with a really nice range bag and 5 mags for a discounted sale price. I has almost exactly the same features as the DW I was looking at. (I know it's not a DW but the price was half of one of them, and it was just going to be a range toy.) It's a 4" bull barrel 9mm and just felt perfect in the hand. It even had the sights I would have had to add to a DW. One of the reasons I like my SIGs is that for over 30 years I have owned a bunch and never had a hiccup with any of them Very accurate and easy to shoot. With quite a bit of experience with 1911s I knew that sometimes getting one to work well can be a challenge. So, today, with some trepidation I went to the range with two boxes of 9mm 124gr NATO and a magazine of 147gr HST HPs. The gun was like butter and very accurate out to 30 feet which was as far as I shot it.. It was fun to shoot a 1911 again. I came back and ordered a Wilson OWB so it may very well be a Sunday gun. Very pleasant experience. Here is my original pic when I came in the door before I cleaned and oiled it for the range trip. I think it's gonna be fun. 20190222_154928.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom