A prank with a message

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless things have changed, the first DUI is a misdemeanor. Any after that can be filed as a felony, if the DA so chooses. So, don't count on #3. A friend of ours is an attorney that specializes in DUI's, and he had a client ask what could possibly happen with his second DUI. Our friend told him that the second could be filed as a felony and if convicted, he would lose his rights to own a firearm.

Young man was advised to accept a plea down to a misdemeanor and keep his nose clean from now on.

Misdemeanor can be up to $500 in fines and one year in jail. Or up to one year suspended or deferred. Felonies go up to $1000 fine and years in prison, not jail. That is based on the charge being in district court (think county.) Municipals can be even worse for fines, especially on misdemeanors.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the video is in the Tennessee or Kentucky area if that helps.

But I have to agree there are tons on the road who should not be. Often times it's an accident that kills or hurts someone before they see real jail time and lose licenses.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could also be imprecise language.

A while back, Oklahoma passed a law requiring DUI to be charged through a court of record (district court, or a couple of municipal courts), so that multiple offenders could be tracked and punished more harshly. Fearful of losing the revenue, a lot of city PDs started charging as DWI instead, keeping them (and their fines) in the local system. It's a technical difference that most people don't know about.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people show up for a court date and it gets pushed back to another date just adding up court fees every time someone goes that’s what a coworker went through instead of just saying here is what you got sorry bout your luck. His daughter is taking care of her friends two sons who is most likely facing prison and the court date just keeps getting pushed back just get the dam thing over with

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people show up for a court date and it gets pushed back to another date just adding up court fees every time someone goes that’s what a coworker went through instead of just saying here is what you got sorry bout your luck. His daughter is taking care of her friends two sons who is most likely facing prison and the court date just keeps getting pushed back just get the dam thing over with
It's all about the court making money. County court I'm sure your talking about? I constantly see continuances in the newspaper 25-30 times, and then they dismiss the charges.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is exactly what I’m talking about

They want to screw with their lives as punishment, yet don't want to incarcerate them because that costs the county money.
Meanwhile, they can't get a job with charges pending and get right back into drug dealing, stealing, etc to stay alive.
We have a friend with a grandson going through that with drug charges, and NO the answer is not to legalize all drugs. He broke the existing law, and is now dealing with the system. The system sucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom