A Question for Our LEO members...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think expired tags are bad you would probably be astonished at the number of people who have no valid insurance....Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
^^Yes. There was an article in the paper a few years ago, the insurance industry said OK had the highest percentage of no insurance drivers on the road, like 26%.
The reporter asked the OK Insurance Commissioner if that was correct and was basically told, Yeah sounds about right.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out this morning doing some Christmas shopping, and it seemed like everytime I was stopped at a red light, the vehicle in front of me had an expired paper tag. Don't they get stopped for those? The reason I ask...my lovely bride was driving her car in Norman recently when stopped because the decal on her tag was expired. That cost me $110 fine and then a penalty of another $100 the next day when I sheepishly had to go to the tag agent and get the decal I forgot to get a couple of months earlier.

Most use expired tags, paper or otherwise as a reason for contact. More than half the time it lead to no insurance verification, suspended license or other infractions.

If all that was wrong was an expired tag of limited time, the driver would be told to please get it taken care and sent on their way.

And maybe yours was expired more than a couple of months If you had to pay $100 penalty. In Oklahoma anyhow. :)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^Yes. There was an article in the paper a few years ago, the insurance industry said OK had the highest percentage of no insurance drivers on the road, like 26%.
The reporter asked the OK Insurance Commissioner if that was correct and was basically told, Yeah sounds about right.
Now that we've gone to electronic reporting of insurance, I don't know if it's still true, but it wasn't long ago that i was told that insurance verification cards were the #1 forged document in Oklahoma.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure the laws have changed since I retired, but when I left the PD in 2000, a vehicle with an expired paper tag could be cited and impounded one day after expiration. An expired decal could be cited the day after expiration, but 90 days was required before impound.

The state allowed 30 days grace for an expired tag. After that, they would charge a 25 cent a day penalty up to the point of double the renewal price of the tag.

There was no grace period for expiration for expired insurance. If you were found guilty or pled no contest and just paid the fine, notice was sent to DPS and the drivers license was suspended.

I see out of date tags every day and I have to wonder why they aren’t caught.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a vehicle for one of our girls this year. We didn’t receive the paperwork from the dealer until the day before the paper tag expired. It was a few days before I could get the permanent tag and she was driving around with an expired paper tag during that time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom