A question for you Tulsa/BA natives.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@CHenry explained it a few years back—the engineer who did the design work screwed up (off by a decimal place, or sitting like that). It was a minor error on paper, but not so minor in concrete.

Basically, it passed inspection because it met the specifications. It was the specifications that were wrong.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember an interview with a OTA guy years ago when he was questioned about the roller coaster bridge, his arrogant response was something like “if you don’t like it, you can just take an alternate route”

IMO the OTA is nothing more than a PONZI scheme ran by a corrupt bunch of bureaucrats. OTA should have been disposed of decades ago when they couldn’t make good on the bonds, instead they extort the public on a daily basis.
saw that

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@CHenry explained it a few years back—the engineer who did the design work screwed up (off by a decimal place, or sitting like that). It was a minor error on paper, but not so minor in concrete.

Basically, it passed inspection because it met the specifications. It was the specifications that were wrong.
I think it was more than a decimal place lol. It was a BLUNDER.
But your basically right.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's another fine example of tax dollars at work. Anyone do work like that in my business would fix it at their expense, and pay for any down time they caused.

Another issue is how the turnpike divided north Tulsa from the main part of the city. It's been crippling the population to the south, the same way 244 did to north Tulsa when it cut through Greenwood.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Explain preloading beams?
im no expert. dad and i talked about that exact bridge before he died.. they are pre arched and the weight of the loaded concrete causes them level or close too it. just like the old hump back semi flat beds that's why they are arched. dad had 60+ years exp in all aspects of const.

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I bet brother in law deals happen frequently. Contract’s awarded to the same engineering and construction firms over and over with none of the cronies held accountable.
for sure!!! city inspectors gave us green tags all the time so they wouldn't have to come back out... just be sure and call when you get it poured.!! green tags before a drop of concrete was ever poured.!!!

Last edited:

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember after it first opened. When the questions and complaints started coming in, the OTA tried to put lipstick on it by saying it was designed that way for proper drainage. :rolleyes2 After a few months or years they finally fessed up that it was design error.

Latest posts

Top Bottom