A Really Depressing Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have this grandma. She's pushing 90, and as she has stopped walking her five miles a day, she's really got to the point where she's not so strong. Been going downhill for three or four years, regressing really fast. Long story short, I decided to take on this project since nobody else is putting any effort into it, even though all three sons have time and means. That's not the depressing story.

Last week, I found a ramp that meets the length and height requirement in my corner of SWOK for a steal! Contacted the dude, drove to his town, and picked it up. As I was pulling anchors off this thing, I started chatting him up. He was an old dude, pushing 70. Had an interesting Army life, and a few good stories to pass what little time I spent on his stoop. I just couldn't ignore how great of shape this ramp was in. Set out in the elements in SWOK, so I asked him about it, even though I felt I was about to open a bleeding wound of a lost aging parent. Turns out, he recently had a VA hip replacement, so they installed this ramp a few days before I showed up to claim it. It was less than a week old. The soot was still around the welds. So, as I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I asked him why he was selling it. He replied that his SS and retirement wasn't enough, that just needed the money. I paid him full asking price, $100.

As I drove away, the taxpayer in me was upset at his actions. The patriot in me was sad for his situation. And to top it off, I was both elated and depressed as I drove away with a brand new ramp, pennies on the dollar.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately lots a people like that in our country. It really is a shame. If you are comfortable with your situation maybe you can pay the old man a visit occasionally and drop him off a grocery store gift card or something similar when you have time or the means to do so.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know the VA put in ramps for handicapped. My son who is not a Veteran but wheelchair bound had his put in by the Ambucks. Great organization that does this on a regular basis here in Ponca.

My neighbor is an Ambuc guy down here. While I can't afford their dues (literally a mortgage payment equivalent) he does let me come out and help build ramps a few weekends each month since they're mostly 60+.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor is an Ambuc guy down here. While I can't afford their dues (literally a mortgage payment equivalent) he does let me come out and help build ramps a few weekends each month since they're mostly 60+.
Great organization of volunteers that contribute to the community with no financial incentives. More people need to emulate their model.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor had some ankle surgery and he is a bit large and can't get around well anyway.
He needed a ramp and I gathered some wood he had and some I had and made a really dandy ramp.
Things are very handy.
Sorry to hear about your grandmother

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have this grandma. She's pushing 90, and as she has stopped walking her five miles a day, she's really got to the point where she's not so strong. Been going downhill for three or four years, regressing really fast. Long story short, I decided to take on this project since nobody else is putting any effort into it, even though all three sons have time and means. That's not the depressing story.

Last week, I found a ramp that meets the length and height requirement in my corner of SWOK for a steal! Contacted the dude, drove to his town, and picked it up. As I was pulling anchors off this thing, I started chatting him up. He was an old dude, pushing 70. Had an interesting Army life, and a few good stories to pass what little time I spent on his stoop. I just couldn't ignore how great of shape this ramp was in. Set out in the elements in SWOK, so I asked him about it, even though I felt I was about to open a bleeding wound of a lost aging parent. Turns out, he recently had a VA hip replacement, so they installed this ramp a few days before I showed up to claim it. It was less than a week old. The soot was still around the welds. So, as I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I asked him why he was selling it. He replied that his SS and retirement wasn't enough, that just needed the money. I paid him full asking price, $100.

As I drove away, the taxpayer in me was upset at his actions. The patriot in me was sad for his situation. And to top it off, I was both elated and depressed as I drove away with a brand new ramp, pennies on the dollar.
I would have felt just about like you in that situation. That $100 won't give him near as much help as that ramp would've in years to come if he's one of the 70yr olds that shows wear.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle was 65 years old when I was about 25 and his girlfriend was 24.
She was Fit and super good looking.
As he was also most thought he was in his mid 40's he still raced his cars on the circle track and the straight line 1/4 mile.

You are only as old as you feel. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom