A Safe Supply of Drinking Water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
These photos are of my emergency water filtration system. I have access to several small ponds within yards of my house and that is what I am basing my emergency water supply on. It is in a metro area so there is going to be a number of problems with drinking or using water directly from these ponds without adequate protective measures, primarily filtration.
I chose the Black Berkey Water filtration units. If you go to the web site and look at the specs you will see why. They are not cheap, but appear to be the best you can buy. With Black Berkey filter you can get about 3000 gallons of clean water before you have to service them, if you service/clean them about every 3000 gallons and they will last for a very long time.
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-water-filters/replacement-filters/black-berkey.html
I decided that a 4.5 inch sewer pipe with a cap on the end and the Berkey filter installed in the end of the cap, would be the easiest solution to a portable water supply, easy to use and is light enough it could be handled by the average person. A 4.5 inch sewer pipe is made out of the same material that a water pipe is made from, but cannot handle the pressure that a water pipe can. This sewer pipe appears to be perfect for my application.
I installed an end fitting on the pipe that will accept a screw style cap and screwed a square nutted end cap into the fitting backwards. Before I installed the screw in end cap, I sanded the end of the square nut to make a smooth surface for the Berkey filter's rubber gasket, then I drilled a hole in the center of the square that would allow the Berkey filter's hollow mounting stud to pass through. The screw in cap cannot be tightened enough to prevent leaks and will have to be glued in permanently.
Before you glue in the end cap, make sure and make yourself a wrench arrangement that will let you turn the end cap and tighten it. I had to use some of the tie downs that you can winch tight and a portable bench to hold the pipe while I tightened the screw in cap. This pipe arrangement is a small pain to make but once made it solves a lot of problems. I drilled two ¼ inch holes in the other end of the pipe to allow a rope or small chain to be used for hanging of the system from a rafter or tree limb.
The 5 ft pipe will hold about 3 gallons of water at a time and will make about 3 gallons of clean water every half hour. The end cap installed backwards protects the hollow outlet mounting stud of the Berkey filter and keeps you from destroying a working filter system by dropping it and breaking the hollow mounting stud. I used the Berkey supplied wing nut to tighten down the filter to the end cap, inside the recessed area of the square nut of the end cap and I was done. This wing nut is factory supplied and not a hardware store item, do not lose it.
I bought a new waste water pump unit from Home Depot ( $25.00 ?) to move water from a bucket/barrel or what ever that is holding the water supply. You pump the pipe full and the container you are using to catch the drinkable water is placed under the hanging pipe filter unit to be filled or you can slip on some small plastic tubing onto the filter mounting stud to move the water to a different location . With the small size of the hollow mounting spout you can easily fill water bottles or smaller jars with this setup. I built two of these pipe units and can make about a gallon of clean water every 5 minutes, up to about 6000 gallons before I have to stop and service/clean the filters.
To remove the filter for cleaning, rinse out the holding chamber, unscrew the filter mounting stud and let the filter slide out of the pipe, do not let the ceramic filter strike a hard surface, it might break into a dozen pieces, clean the filter with a green scratch pad or steel wool, reverse flush and it is ready to use again. To reinstall the filter, make sure the holding chamber has been cleaned, drop a string down the hole of the screw in cap, tape/tie to the filter mounting stud and pull the mounting stud through the hole and tighten down the wing nut. If you hold the pipe at a slight angle it will slide back into the hole fairly easily, then hold the pipe vertical with the cap portion facing down while you tighten the nut and you are done. I have used this method of installation several times in making my first pipe units and it works quite well.

Only 4 photos are allowed per post so I will show the last two on the next post.

I hope this is of value to some of you who have been wondering about a safe water supply.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 223

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
These are the last two photos of the pipe filter system I built. One shows the filter installed in the end cap and the second water flowing from the filter system while hanging from my rafter in the garage.

This is a correction to the installation of the reversed screw-in plug. What I used for the sealant to seal the threads was Plumbers Teflon sealant. This both lubricated the threads so the plug could be installed and made a water seal when it set. I was not able to use the standard plastic plumbers glue (that is the purple stain on the pipe) and get the plug to install properly. The end piece that the cap screws into is installed with standard plumbers type glue. Apply the glue on both the tube and the inside of the end piece and push onto the pipe and twist at the same time, this makes a good strong seal. I apologize for any misunderstandings about putting this thing together.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 193
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats pretty neat. Do you plan on bugging out with this? It seems a bit bulky. Maybe a smaller one for when your on the move (if you have to be at some point)

EDIT: Is it like a portable thing you walk around with or is it a completely new piping running from the ponds to your house?

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is portable only in the sense that if I needed to move it around the area I could just move it to a new tree/rafter or to a neighbors home. It only weighs about 8 to 10 lbs ready to use so it could be carried by a group for long distances if needed.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A Berkey stainless water system consists of an upper tank for dirty water and the lower take for the treated water, with a spigot to dispense the treated water. These units run from $228 to $350 with two fluoride filters. Fluoride filters are not the same as the Black Berkey filter. I made my system for a total of $35 to $40 for supplies to make two filter units or about $20 each w/o filters, I bought the 2 filters last year for about $90 if memory serves me right. So my total is approx $65 for each filtration system and if Berkey is to believed each of my units (with proper maintenance) can produce about 3000 gallons of clean drinkable water. I figured that that will supply a lot of water to a lot of people if needed. I think my design could be dropped without serious damage, not to knock Berkey or anyone else, but I think my setup is more rugged than what I have seen available commercially.

I was challenged by dak on the amount of clean water the Berkey filter could produce. I went back to their web site and re-read the last paragraph of their description. I misinterpreted the statement they made, I read the statement to say that the filter could produce 3000 gals after each cleaning with up to 100 cleanings for a total of 300000 gallons of clean water. The actual statement is that the filter will produce 3000 gallons of clean water and can be cleaned 100 times. Thank you dak for bringing the error to my attention. I should have realized that 300,000 gallons was a ridiculous amount.

Last edited:

gallk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a great setup. I've been thinking about making the dual bucket version but I like this better. I like the way it takes up less room. Do you have it mounted to the wall in that last photo?

Latest posts

Top Bottom