A sneak peak at my latest project...BCD 4 K98k.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucas you need to join the k98k forum and post your rifle. I dont have any parts befitting that nice rifle at the moment. I have a couple of scrubbed stamped bands that would look better than the h band. A milled or stamped bandspring would work.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for checking Clint.

I ended up finding a blued speed milled upper band without any markings or serial number yesterday on Gunbroker. Looking at other late block Sauer rifles that are matching, it appears the speed milled bands are more common than stamped, but I saw examples of both. The seller also had used original sight covers on hand so I purchased one of those as well and saved a few dollars on shipping. Just need a band spring and bayo lug pin at this point. I can snag a band spring off of eBay, but I may wait for the upper band to arrive first so that I can pick out a spring that best matches the upper and lower bands.

What are your thoughts on repairing the stock? I was contemplating repairing the cracks in the tang and in between the magazine well and trigger inletting area with Acraglas, but I'm not sure if a collector would rather have the stock as-is and how much the delamination cracks affect the value since they seem to be fairly common. I absolutely believe that I can repair the stock in a way that it won't be detected, but wasn't sure if I should just leave it alone for the time being since I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping the rifle.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW Clint, I forgot to add that I registered on the K98k forum late last week, but my account hasn't ever been validated. I went ahead and ordered a stamped band spring today so the bayo lug pin is the last part that I'll need to get the rifle back together. If I keep the rifle I'll end up grabbing a cleaning rod and sling for it as well. I would probably go the repro sling route...judging from photos, the slings from ATF look to be the best option out there.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would leave the stock as is. The crack by the trigger area is very common and never a real problem. The guys that pay the big bucks want it unmolested so keep that in mind. If you bought the speed milled band from the guy that photos everything on a zeltbahn those may be one I sold him. Brian rau I think. Shoot me your address and I'll send you a lug pin.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would leave the stock as is. The crack by the trigger area is very common and never a real problem. The guys that pay the big bucks want it unmolested so keep that in mind. If you bought the speed milled band from the guy that photos everything on a zeltbahn those may be one I sold him. Brian rau I think. Shoot me your address and I'll send you a lug pin.

Thanks again Clint. I'll leave the stock be then.

I believe that your guy is who I may have purchased the band spring from. I didn't catch his name. There are a couple different sellers on eBay that use German camouflaged shelter halves or ponchos for their photo background. The speed milled band and hood came from the seller Enterprise Florida on Gunbroker. It looks to be a nice band and the price was very fair ($17.50 plus shipping)...my only concern is whether or not it will match. My stamped and milled parts have a noticeable brownish / olive patina tint to the blued finish. I couldn't tell by the auction photos, but I believe that the band may have a normal dark blue appearance. If so, I'll just resell the band or list if for trade on Gunboards for one that matches better.

I really appreciate the offer on the lug pin. I'll shoot you a pm shortly. If you have PayPal, I can send you funds beforehand to cover the cost.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like this may end up being the case. I have a one year old and recently found out that baby number two is on the way, so I may need to liquidate a few things in the upcoming months. We'll see how things go...

Nice job so far on that K98k! You do way more than I would in the way of restoration, given my lack of patience.

If you're looking to convert an IHC Garand or S&W 5906 into cash for the upcoming baby, I'd be interested :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom