A Spyderco question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered a Spyderco Resilience from Amazon for $42. I was wanting a longer blade for on duty carry and I couldn't afford a Police or Military model.

However, I've run across a very gently used Police 3 with G-10 scales for $95.

My question is...is the used Police worth over 50 bucks more than the brand new Resilience?

Your honest opinions please.

:thanku:

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it is. The Resilience is not too bad for the money, but the blade steel and tempering is not near as good as the VG10 used in the Police. The screws and the liners are tougher on the Police also. Buy quality now, you won't regret it later.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an upgrade, but I don't know that it's worth it. If I was going to spend $100, I'd wait and get a Para-2 (IMO better steel, better lock, better ergos, thicker blade). Not as long a blade, but it's got plenty of cutting edge - even with the choil (works great for folks with larger hands).

If you're stuck on having the extra length, you've got the Endura and Byrd Cara Cara as well at cheaper prices (Endura has VG10 steel like the Police, but the Cara Cara is much cheaper with G10/full-liners). The Endura is available in Saber Grind which gives it more heft and a thicker blade-tip.

Personally, I have concerns with longer folders that use liner or back locks. Not that I've ever seen a quality back/liner lock fail, but I've seen more than one back-lock that developed blade-play and the longer liner-locks flex (some a lot more than others) which just sort of gives me the heebie jeebies to see in action.

You just missed Cutlery Shoppe's shipment of Spyderco Paramilitary-2s today (coated blade Digi-Cam for $115 - the non-coated versions go for $105 when they get them in). CS has free-shipping coupons as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom