This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
200 yards is a long way for a mortally wounded deer to travel.
Not necessarily. ;)

My oldest brother shot a buck in the left shoulder with a .30-06. It was next to a heavily vined brush thicket, and my bro said he fell against that (without going down) and then took off.

We followed the blood trail well over 100 yards (maybe closer to 200) before we found the buck. His left shoulder was completely shattered.

They can surprise ya. :drunk2:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you know it was a good kill and could possibly see the downed animal you can call the game warden and he will retrieve
it off the pissy neighbors land. but I think you have to actually be able to see it from your side of the fence.

I asked about this at public meeting because where I hunt, the deer on public land hang out near the fence and I can get between them and the fence but was always worried about them jumping the fence and not being able to retrieve

A Game Warden cannot trespass to retrieve an animal for another hunter. That myth has been going around for years and years. The Warden must have permission as well to cross the fence.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily. ;)

My oldest brother shot a buck in the left shoulder with a .30-06. It was next to a heavily vined brush thicket, and my bro said he fell against that (without going down) and then took off.

We followed the blood trail well over 100 yards (maybe closer to 200) before we found the buck. His left shoulder was completely shattered.

They can surprise ya. :drunk2:
:rollingla
I knew that statement would be quoted and quantified. Yes, deer can travel a long ways once they’re shot, BUT given the description of both situations from the OP, I would bet money that neither buck was “mortally” wounded.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sure hope y’all are right and he’s ok. He was such a nice buck ide hate to see him wasted! I haven’t seen either buck on my field cameras sadly! I did see a great buck almost in my backyard Wednesday evening but I didn’t have time enough to react! He hasn’t been back
Have you been running cameras this summer? Curious if the bucks showed up?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_20201121_222036307.jpg

This buck had an infection in shoulder. Hide was healed over but the enemy persisted inside. Buck was skin and bones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom