A1 Skyraider Trolls the Enemy With a "Toilet Bomb" and "the Kitchen Sink"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Skyraider was a true badass just like the A-10 is now, and just like then the Air Force wants to replace them with a fast mover. There is no way in hell the F-35 will EVER be the close support aircraft the A-10 is.
Personally if I was young enough and rich enough to own aircraft, the A-1 would be one I wanted. That a AN-22, SU-27, F-86, F-8F and a C-119. I would like an F-14 too but you can not own one I understand.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like an F-14 too but you can not own one I understand.
I don’t know if you can own one, but my understanding is that the DoD required Grumman to destroy all the tooling when production ended, so there’s no way to get spare parts. (Presumably they did it to make sure the Iranians couldn’t get spare parts for their Tomcats.)

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What an amazing plane.
They used to have one of these at Jones/Riverside airport in Jenks.
You need to stand next to one to get an idea of the size.
They are huge.

We were building a hanger next to the one that housed the Spad.
One morning as we were sitting in our truck taking a break, the owner (which we knew) asked us to put our truck in neutral, parking brake off as we were parked right behind the plane after he pulled it out of the hanger.
He fired up the plane and it quickly blew our truck backwards at a good clip.
He got a kick out of it. We did too.
What a sound!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if you can own one, but my understanding is that the DoD required Grumman to destroy all the tooling when production ended, so there’s no way to get spare parts. (Presumably they did it to make sure the Iranians couldn’t get spare parts for their Tomcats.)
Yea so Iran started making their own parts and are trying to make an updated version like the did the F-5 and AH-1. Poor copies at this stage but that is how China started out.

The DOD does require all F-14s to be scrapped. There was a major stink a while back when an old airframe was found in Texas I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom