A2 sight on AR or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will interfere just a touch with your sight picture if you are using a magnified optic. Still plenty serviceable however.

I'll add as a "pro" that after 21 years and multiple deployments, I never saw an A2 front sight busted...the front sight pin bent - yes - but never the actual sight housing. Pretty dang durable.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a double pin grooved barrel to use the A2 sight that has been in my parts bin for years. The gun will be used as a back up and SHTF gun for the reasons @diggler1833 stated
The barrel was slightly used as will be everything in the build. It’s time to put all those scratch and dent parts to use!

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Work fine for me. I like having it. Fun to ding targets at distance using it.

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_1349 (2).jpg

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well before I got in all the replies I made a decision to go with the clean sight picture. If I was doing a true M4 clone then it is a no-brainer, but I decided that having something that fell outside what I am trying to standardize on across platforms wasn't optimal for me. However, all replies are reasonable and true. I thought about the durability thing and initially was leaning towards a backup, iron sight rifle, but decided I want to shoot the thing and am going to get a scope. I know it won't interfere much, but I decided on consistency over durability for now. Before I made the decision, I threw a red dot on another platform that has a fixed front sight that is about half the size of the A2 sight and it is bug me in the sight picture when comparing to the alternatives.

Thx for the opinions, hope I can't go wrong either way.

Dillon157

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’ll be good either way! I prefer a flip up backup sight for several of the reasons stated, in addition to the fact that they tend to weigh quite a bit less than the A2 front sight post. The weight difference is very negligible though.

Overall, I rarely (if ever) use the backup sights on my AR platform rifles but I keep them installed and sighted in just in case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom