AAR Magpul Dynamic Carbine 1 in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1 September 26/27th OKC

We've all read a thousand AAR's on here so I'll try and be brief and cover what I can remember that might be of interest.

We had this course at the Oklahoma City Gun Club in Arcadia, OK. We had a large range to work on being 100 yards long by about 75 yards wide. We cut the range in half though and only used one side which still gave us lots of room. We mainly worked from 50 yards and in.

Instructors were Costa of course and Mike Lamb was with him. Both were great and two of the best instructors I've ever trained with. They complimented each other well and another benefit of having Mike was he was a lefty so the two lefty shooters we had in the class got to see how he ran his gun.

Weather was good. High of 80 first day and 90 the second day with a little cloud cover and slight breeze. No rain! Our normal high allergy air quality was pretty low too.

We had 21 shooters in the class. It was the usual mix of LE, Mil, doctors, lawyers, IT guys and I forget what the others were. Some had attended training before and some had none.

Everyone was using an AR variant except one guy that had a XCR in 556. Optics were mainly Aimpoints and Eotechs. We had two or three guys use irons only and one Trijicon TR24 and a Leupold CQT. As far as I remember no optics went down.

We of course started the day off with introductions and a safety briefing. The Magpul guys' safety briefing and procedures are the most thorough of any class I've taken which I greatly appreciated. We had a small staging area setup in case of an accident and designated who the two primary medics would be and who's car we would load them up in if it was that serious.

Next we gathered on the range and went over admin loading and where your “workspace” is located. Costa then had me demonstrate the prone position and talked about the correct position and different ways to hold the rifle while in prone. After everyone said they understood we moved on to zeroing our rifles. I was amazed out how quickly this went as the last class I was at it seemed like it took an hour to get everyone zeroed. I knew at that point the Magpul guys were definitely good at what they did.

I won't go into specifics with all the drills we did but will say the class was well organized and I really appreciated how the instructors would demo everything before they asked us to do it. Magpuls motto of Reality, Consistency, Efficiency proved to be a winning combo. There was no “fluff” or anything added. Everything they taught had a purpose and was simple and they could explain why they did it that way instead of just saying do it. I will say that I enjoyed the BSA drill. I liked how you can adapt it to fit everyones ability. You start shooting only two rounds at a time but the better shooters were asked to shoot more. The new Magpul targets were very cool as well and had a lot of neat features on them. We covered admin loads, speed reloads, tac reloads, basic malfunction clearing, standing, kneeling, prone, urban prone and supine. We also covered 90 and 180 turns, moving forward and backward while shooting and pistol transistions. We were unable to get any type of barricades for the class so instead Chris and Mike setup a drill using barrels setup in a triangle fasion and we had to move and engage targets at each “station”. It made us use all the skills we had learned throughout the class and required lots of muzzle discipline. It was a good way to end the class.

We had a good number of guns go down for some reason. I don't know the story on all of them but my primary went down just before lunch on TD1. I was shooting a S&W M&P 5.45x39 upper that I had shaved the FSB and put a 12.0 DD rail on. I had about 1500 rounds on it without any issues before the class. I had been shooting the Wolf Military Classic ammo in it though and for this class could only find the regular Wolf. I started having stuck fired cases in the chamber and had to knock them out with a cleaning rod. I missed one evolution of drills and took her apart and cleaned it good but it started doing it again after another 150 rounds or so. So I put it up and went with my KISS 556 upper for the rest of the class. All I can attribute the problems to is the different ammo. I was bummed because I was used to having the longer rail system and vert grip on the 5.45x39 upper and had to switch to just having MOE handguards so it took me some time to adjust to holding it different and not having my arm out as far. I'm a little dude but my wife says I have monkey arms. When I got this upper it was during the ammo crunch. My original goal was to have two identical carbines, one in 5.45x39 and one in 556. That way I could carry my 556 rifle on duty and use the 5.45x39 in training with the much cheaper ammo. I didn't have enough cash to finish setting up my 556 upper though before the class. I learned a valuable lesson though as Costa pointed out. Sure I saved $100 on ammo but was it worth it? No. I could have been training instead of jacking with my gun. So I will have an upper for sale shortly... lol. Lesson learned is don't skimp on good ammo. The other problems I saw were mostly ammo related also. I saw one stuck case that had the rim ripped off in a Colt. It came out easy though and he was back up and running very quick. One gun was having ejection issues that were solved with switching buffers. The others I'm not sure what went wrong. No pistol issues that I can remember.

I will be changing a few things after this class. The first is my optic mount. I had always been a fan of absolute co witness spacers before this class but found the higher lower 1/3 co witness spacers would have worked better in some of the positions we shot from. It seemed like I would mount the weapon and have to dip my head a little more then I wanted to to find the dot. I will be getting a higher one now. Costa had the KAC micro mount and it was very nice and I think what I will go with. I used an Aimpoint H-1 in an ADM mount for the class. I also want to get a padded war belt setup. I used an extra nylon duty belt with bladetech pouches on it. It worked great but my hips were sore and bruised after two days of going prone. I also think I will try out a Magpul sling. I have always used single point slings and my BFG padded UDC sling was great but when we are standing around talking or loading mags or whatever it gets a little uncomfortable. Having the ability to quickly switch into a more comfortable two point mode would have been extremely nice.

Final thoughts are I will definitely try and get these guys back for Carbine 2 or a pistol class. Hell I'd even do Carbine 1 again it was that good.

Sorry no pics we were too busy shooting!

I also posted this on M4C and LF if you are a member on there please reply too.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I could have made it sounds like a great class. I would have liked to see how my rifles would have ran.

Final thoughts are I will definitely try and get these guys back for Carbine 2 or a pistol class. Hell I'd even do Carbine 1 again it was that good.

From what I've heard it might not be a problem with this group of students; but you might consider hosting another Carbine 1 class to increase the number of people who could take a Carbine 2 when it is offered. I'd definatley be interested in taking both 1 and 2 it just didn't work out for me this time. I'm starting to put ammo and tuition money back so I can try and make Magpul or EAG next year.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It was a great class. There was a lot of thought put into the curriculum. Everything for a reason.

Im glad you boys got a chance to see how much of a disadvantage it is to shoot irons.

JNURSE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was a great class and I would definitely train with them again. I really liked the shooting platform Chris teaches. It just makes sense and it works for smaller guys like me. (Chris is not very big himself). I also like that he has real world experience. I question the methods less when I know they have been tested downrange. We had lots of repetitions of each drill so we could "burn in" what he was trying to get across. I think my round count was around 1600. Even though this is expensive, its better than courses with low round counts and insufficient repetitions. As Josh said, the safety lecture was very good but I was more impressed with the fact that he backed it up with action. Also in the mindset lecture he introduced us to a twist on Boyd's loop. He used the term P.O.O.D.A. loop which is Perceive, Orient, Observe, Decide, Act. I am not sure I have bought into this just yet, but it shows that he questions establishment which I like. He used another term called "institutional enertia" to define the continuation of obsolete idea because everyone else is doing it or teaching it. (I will be stealing that term for myself).

There were several of us that post here and it was great to finally put some faces and real names with the "log in names" used here.

Thanks Josh for spear heading this. Well done.

I am looking forward to Tom Givens and John Farnum coming out so we can all train together again. (Thanks Predator for making that happen)

LOKNLOD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Copied and pasted from M4...

First off, thanks to Josh for getting this class set up, and Mike for the work on range logistics.

Second, thanks to Magpul Dynamics for putting on a heck of a good class. As Josh said, Chris Costa and Mike Lamb were the instructors, and both were great. Everybody knows Costa of course but Mike brought a lot to the table, and they worked together well as a team. They take the training very seriously, but with enough levity to keep everyone interested and having fun. I think someone in the class suggested a recommended viewing list be sent out prior to the training, and that wouldn't be a bad idea -- Both can spit movie quotes like crazy. On a serious note -- their discussion on mindset was pretty damn good too.

This was my first carbine class and only second class overall. I didn't come into the class as the hardest shooter, and didn't leave as the hardest shooter, but I could definitely mark my improvement through the class. My score on the BSA the second morning was half of my score the previous day. The instructors aren't there to pat you on the back and make you feel special about it though, as we improved they pushed us harder. There was no fluff or ballistic masturbation going on with the drills they had us running. Chris and Mike did a great job of managing a wide range of skill levels all shooting on the same firing line.

I was the one running the TR24R. It's on a BCM middy upper with 12" rail and BCM bcg, on a CDD lower with G&R guts and a UBR. I used a padded VCAS and a mix of Pmags and Bravo-Co marked USGI mags with Federal XM193. Except for when we were confirming zero, I kept the TR24 at 1x the whole time. I didn't have any issues with the optic, it worked well up close for shooting with both eyes open just like a heavier, more expensive Aimpoint. Shooting from the supine position was a little more difficult, because of the eye relief, and it caused a bit of a "looking through a straw" effect. My rifle didn't die on me in the class, but I did have double feed at the end of day one, and then started having some more towards the end of day two. I noticed it was getting pretty dry and dirty, and nothing catastrophic or consistent was happening, so I think it may have just been the lube getting burnt off. It was starting to feel like a heavy pig by the end of the day!

I had hoped to have an SBR together for the class, and was a little bummed it didn't work out, but now I'm glad to have the experiences from the class before I get the rifle, because it's affected how I want it configured.

I wore a "war belt" setup for the class, no chest rig. I was able to keep 4 mags on me + 1 in the rifle, and didn't have any issues running out of ammo in the middle of an evolution. Really I had no issues with my gear to speak of -- very pleased with my belt rig. Putting some thought into what I wanted and why and making some range trips to try it ahead of time paid off there. I'm not saying it's the best setup for anyone else, but it worked well for me. ICE outer belt, BFG inner belt, double FB Glock mag pouch, single FB rifle mag pouch (default reload), BFG ten-speed, CSM dump, Safariland holster modded for hi-ride.

BAD lever: I was waiting for this class to decide about the bad lever, hoping to see/use one before putting one one my rifle. After day one and the malfunction-clearing session, I was sold. I snagged one and I put it on my rifle for day two, and it was a boon for locking the bolt back. It'll take some practice to get it involved in my reloads, but contrary to many interweb threads, it didn't cause male pattern baldness, erectile dysfunction, or spontaneous NDs.

Overall, a great class and great experience. I hope to train with MD again. Love to see them come back to OKC for a pistol class...

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting a S&W M&P 5.45x39 upper that I had shaved the FSB and put a 12.0 DD rail on. I had about 1500 rounds on it without any issues before the class.

I had a S&W 5.45 rifle too. I ditched it after the first day. Started out great, but was stovepiping frequently by the end of day 1. At least that was the day we were doing malfunction drills, I had plenty of real malfunctions to practice on.

One day 2 the 5.56 rifle had not one problem. Mike and Chris thought I needed a longer rail for my longer arms, the only longer one I have was an M5 RAS. I ran a rifle upper on a carbine lower, which did feel better. I do need to build some bigger arms to hold the dot steadier on the target.

Speaking of arms, I don't think Mike even needs a rifle. He could probably push the bullets in with his thumb and get the same effect.

This was my first introduction to "dynamic" shooting. I have always been more of a target shooter, my only formal training was on three position rimfire rifle. Recoil control and follow-up shots are not a big factor on single shot rim fire.

The shooting position they taught was effective in controlling recoil. I was immediately able to increase my cadence of fire and still hit targets. The head position is much lower on the stock than a "traditional" target shooting position, so I was having trouble scrunching my face down onto the stock. Chris recommended that I get an EoTech riser (I always wondered why people needed those!) I kept drifting back to a more bladed, stock high on shoulder stance. I will have to work on snapping in the new stance.

It sure is a pleasure training with instructors at the top of their game. I look forward to taking pistol or carbine 2 someday. I have plenty of homework to do in the mean time :)

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If any one of the students was able to write down a brief outline or notes from the class, Id appreciate a share.. I found myself too busy between drills to write anything down, and my head is still swimming with too much info to effectively remember very much from memory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom