abc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
def

Attachments

• Henry .17 first shots.JPG
    Henry .17 first shots.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These little bitty rounds do not like the wind, that's for sure.
It's my first experience with the .17. It moves at abou 2550 fps and a bunch of fun. Getting to take the Henry down to clean before shooting, I got to look over the gun. Most people should know that Henry does not recommend the complete take down of their rifles. I have, but you can screw up stuff if your not careful. Mostly they just want you to clean the action with a tooth brush, q-tips and rags. You take the cover off the action and remove it the slide and stock. That way you can run a cleaning rod through the proper end and not the crown where some youtube shows. DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!.
Get to see how well these guns are put together. Also the walnut furniture is beautiful. I'm such a big fan of Henry's I can see me moving away from anything but my lever actions. I'll keep my Colt Ar but the AK and some others will have to go. The Ruger Precision I'll keep because I still like shooting steel at 1500. Nothing like having time to turn your head and wait for the ding.
Figure once my long ranger 223/556 comes in, I'll go ahead and give my grand nephew a very old 22 lever action I have that has some value. Shoots great but I don't want to sell it. Would rather give it to someone that would keep it and pass it on as well. He will get a number of my collection where the rest will be sold by a friend to give to my wife. He's a good man and honest as Abe.
I'll move on giving the antique 22 away and might get another Henry 22

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy used a Golden Boy in 17HMR the first year we went Prairie dog hunting and had good luck with it. I was using a Savage 17hmr at the time and have since moved to 17WSM but my dad still uses the 17HMR. Anywho, as stated, wind sucks for these little buggers. If its a windy day we pretty much do something else as they wind drift like crazy out in the field. Once the wind calms, you can slay away.
You should get that thing to tame down quite a bit. May be the wind, may be the ammo. We always shot 17gr CCI with pretty good success.

tjdoggin.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy used a Golden Boy in 17HMR the first year we went Prairie dog hunting and had good luck with it. I was using a Savage 17hmr at the time and have since moved to 17WSM but my dad still uses the 17HMR. Anywho, as stated, wind sucks for these little buggers. If its a windy day we pretty much do something else as they wind drift like crazy out in the field. Once the wind calms, you can slay away.
You should get that thing to tame down quite a bit. May be the wind, may be the ammo. We always shot 17gr CCI with pretty good success.

View attachment 222561
I agree. I wasn't a bit dissappointed in the 17 gr CCI. It was fighting a pretty good gust today. If you were outside today around noon, yu know what I mean. It wasn't a big blow but it was gusty which is worse. Ha. I'll get the proper scope set up for it and then find it's sweet spot. I think the CCI 17 may be it but who knows. I've not tested it against a lighter (16) and a heavier (20) yet. I got her on paper and making good holes so I can still go have some fun with it. I'll set the zero at 100 then figure out what it does at 200 and see if there's a remarkable changge in groups at distance. Regardless, I'll know my hold over or dope.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Range time is good time, at one with a gun. I shot 50 myself today, 40g .22. We had an old fruit tree go down so I situated the trunk where I was shooting off of it and swinging the dueling tree plates back and forth. Ping'em to 1 side then the other it was a good 15-20 minutes for sure.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Range time is good time, at one with a gun. I shot 50 myself today, 40g .22. We had an old fruit tree go down so I situated the trunk where I was shooting off of it and swinging the dueling tree plates back and forth. Ping'em to 1 side then the other it was a good 15-20 minutes for sure.
Very cool. I hope to go out again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom