About to reload for the first time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I've spent about a month and a half gathering all that's needed and reading/researching as much as I possibly could. Sometime this week I plan to reload my first batch of ammo. I will be using a rock chucker supreme master reload kit and will be reloading for my .308 DPMS... any last minute advice???

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the first batch small, and don't be in a hurry.

Weigh every completed round, and if there is a significant difference between the cartridge weights (I use + 2 grains for rifle and + 1 grain for pistol), pull the bullet and weigh the charge.

Weigh every charge at first if you are using any volumetric powder dispensing system.

Go slow, be sure. CB

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good advice,

Check those primers to make sure theyre seated good and deep, not raised above the head of the case at all. Last thing you want is a full auto .308 from slamfire to put a bad taste in your mouth for rolling your own.

Cant go to slow the first time around, weighing is a good idea.

Congrats and have fun.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after about re-sizing/decapping 3 cases, my decapping pin broke on the fourth case. I noticed that this case had a crimped primer and the others did not, could this have caused the pin to break?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most likely not, a few things have broken my decapping pin. Having the case off center, too small of a flash hole, or a Berdan primed case.

Well after about re-sizing/decapping 3 cases, my decapping pin broke on the fourth case. I noticed that this case had a crimped primer and the others did not, could this have caused the pin to break?

Latest posts

Top Bottom