Absolute flattest shooter from 100-500 yards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The .243 WSSM in an AR platform vs a bolt gun is much less in recoil. Only 100 fps faster though.
It's a shame that caliber was put to bed by internet pontificates that said it was a barrel burner when actual testing showed exactly the opposite.

And what's crazy about that, is that even the "barrel burning" rounds will still likely have plenty of accurate life for 90% + of owners.

I was reading up on a round once, and found myself on a benchrest forum, where people were saying "Oh it's a barrel burner, it only has 800-1000 rounds before accuracy degrades!!" Then someone posted, well yeah, but they were talking about it dropping out of the sub 1/4moa accuracy. It probably had another thousand before losing 1/2moa accuracy. So at 10 rounds a month, you'd have a decade of life easy before needing to replace the barrel. And most people I know don't shoot 10 rounds a month through every rifle they own. There's a lot of people who don't shoot a box of ammo PER YEAR through their rifles much less a box a month. Myself included.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
And what's crazy about that, is that even the "barrel burning" rounds will still likely have plenty of accurate life for 90% + of owners.

I was reading up on a round once, and found myself on a benchrest forum, where people were saying "Oh it's a barrel burner, it only has 800-1000 rounds before accuracy degrades!!" Then someone posted, well yeah, but they were talking about it dropping out of the sub 1/4moa accuracy. It probably had another thousand before losing 1/2moa accuracy. So at 10 rounds a month, you'd have a decade of life easy before needing to replace the barrel. And most people I know don't shoot 10 rounds a month through every rifle they own. There's a lot of people who don't shoot a box of ammo PER YEAR through their rifles much less a box a month. Myself included.

Agree, whoever the jackwagon was who coined that term about the .220 swift being a barrel burner back in the day has quite the legacy of misinformation that's carried on for over 70 years lol. Same could be said for the .264wm probably, fake news lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Flattest would probably be some throat burner wildcat like a .17 x .460 Weatherby or .22 x .50BMG. It would not fit in a standard AR and generally be a terrible mess. For an AR type rifle I think NEMO still makes a 300 win mag AR so you could have one custom barreled in .17 x 300 win mag get some shockingly high fps and the throat / accuracy might last for 7 or 8 rounds. If you do it please post some pics.
I've shot the .300 win mag nemo with a can. It's not a barrel burner. One of our club members has one, and he shoots it regularly on the 300yd range that is just a short poke for that gun.
Finding bullets that would stay in one piece with the calibers you mentioned may be a chore.
When the .22-250 first came out, bullets spun into dust because the makers didn't know how to build a bullet that would hold together at that velocity and twist rate.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My vote is a .204 Ruger in a 24 inch stainless bull barrel made by Rock River. Fantastic Prairie Dog rig.
The .204 Ruger is an incredible round. Buddy built a .204 in the AR platform using all JP parts and a billet upper and lower that I can't remember. Lots of video's of 500 yd kills on sheep and goats in New Zealand, and other places.
Probably good enough for whitetail in Okla, but not legal.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a 30-378 article, discusses Roy Weatherby tinkering with it in the 50's for the US Army. Pretty amazing speeds. I've got a giant bag of .30 cal/.22 sabots but I've never done any experimenting with them in my .30-378.One of these days I'll buy some .22 Barnes and see if they'll stay together lol. It's not hard to get 125gr bullets to 3900fps as it is. :)

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ammunition_rs_30378weatherby_201006/

Latest posts

Top Bottom