AC compressor makes noise but oil is clean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I had a bad AC compressor on my vehicle, but I wasn't sure if it was just the clutch instead. No noise when compressor not engaged, but when compressor engaged, awful bearing noises and the clutch housing gets real hot. So I got a new compressor with a new clutch and was in the process of installing and and the oil that came out of the old compressor is clean and no debris.

The reason I am asking this, is because if this is actually just a bad clutch, then there should be no good reason to install a new accumulator??? I did buy one and planned to install, but it is a pain to remove the old one and if the system isn't contaminated, then I don't want to do more work than necessary? If the compressor was bad and/or the system was dirty, then shouldn't the oil have metal or dirt in it?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anytime the dryer is exposed to atmosphere, it’s a good idea to replace it since they attract moisture.
If you don’t care how long the system works, then skip it.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm aware of that, but it is a beater and I'm just trying to do a quick fix. If the compressor isn't bad, then why would the accumulator need replacement?
If it makes a bearing noise only when engaged, then the clutch is OK. Replace the compressor, add the correct PAG oil and vacuum it down before adding freon. If you don't see any grey residue in the lines or in the pag oil, you should be able to get by without replacing anything else.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it makes a bearing noise only when engaged, then the clutch is OK. Replace the compressor, add the correct PAG oil and vacuum it down before adding freon. If you don't see any grey residue in the lines or in the pag oil, you should be able to get by without replacing anything else.
There is zero residue...however, you are correct that the noise is only when clutch is engaged. I have the new accumulator and I already filled the compressor with enough oil for the whole system minus what "might be" left in the evaporator core. I don't want to replace the compressor again but my gut feeling is that I could probably do what you are saying and be fine. But then there's the fact I already have disassembled most of what is necessary to do the accumulator, AND the suction line that goes into the expansion valve needs to be replaced so I may as well do it all the right way.

But I am tempted...after i made the initial post, I thought some more and agree with you that the compressor must be bad.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay thanks...one more question. I need to order a new line, can the system stay open for a week or two? I stuffed shop towels into the open holes that I could. I am hoping if I pull a proper vacuum it can remove all moisture even if the system was open for while?

Latest posts

Top Bottom