AC compressor makes noise but oil is clean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re going to leave the system open for any amount of time, replace the drier/accumulator. When you put 30” of vacuum on the system, it actually boils any moisture out of the lines. Be careful with the amount of oil you put in the compressor. Too much oil will damage the new compressor and cause the expansion valve/orifice tube to malfunction and make noise. There should be a spec as to how much oil you need to add when replacing certain parts in the system.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most new compressors should come with oil; just check. I would just pull a good vacuum for 20 min or so and call it good. No need to replace the dryer or spend more money. I just do the minimum on AC jobs as far as flushing and replacing parts to keep costs low and very rarely have issues.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re going to leave the system open for any amount of time, replace the drier/accumulator. When you put 30” of vacuum on the system, it actually boils any moisture out of the lines. Be careful with the amount of oil you put in the compressor. Too much oil will damage the new compressor and cause the expansion valve/orifice tube to malfunction and make noise. There should be a spec as to how much oil you need to add when replacing certain parts in the system.

Most new compressors should come with oil; just check. I would just pull a good vacuum for 20 min or so and call it good. No need to replace the dryer or spend more money. I just do the minimum on AC jobs as far as flushing and replacing parts to keep costs low and very rarely have issues.
Man where were you guys yesterday LOL...The drier is a pain to replace on this vehicle. I had already bought one so the others convinced me to replace it. I'm sure the old one is full of oil so you are probably right that if leaving it open for a week or two would be better to go ahead and use the new one. But I was tempted to just slap a new compressor on and be done with it even though that isn't the right way.

No way I am going to put the old drier back in now, but the new one is probably chinese so you guys have made a mess of my OCD lol. I am not going to replace the expansion valve though, so therefore no flushing of the evaporator core.

AS FOR THE OIL...new compressor said it came with 6.7oz in it, I dumped it out and it was exactly 4oz. The vehicle calls for 4.5 total (yes I know), so since I am replacing the drier and some of the lines, I figure there is only an ounce or two left in the evaporator core and condenser??? ANYWAY, I just decided to leave the 4oz in and figure that many do-it-yourselfers just take what they get in theior new compressor and it works. Hoping I will have 4.5-5.5oz total at the most.

Latest posts

Top Bottom