ACA OBAMA CARE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have insurance through the ACA Marketplace? We're 59/58 and my wife is under hospice care due to lung/brain cancer and I'm wanting to quit my job to be with her. The only way to stay insured is through the ACA Marketplace and ObamaCare. I don't see any down side to it other than stability but was wanting feedback from anyone with personal experience. Not looking for sympathy but opinions and advice. Cobra would last me 18 months and cost me almost a grand a month. I can get a great BCBS policy from the ACA for $305 per month.

Coz

Last edited:

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have insurance through the ACA Marketplace? We're 59/58 and my wife is under hospice care due to lung/brain cancer and I'm wanting to quit my job to be with her. The only way to stay insured is through the ACA Marketplace and ObamaCare. I don't see any down side to it other than stability but was wanting feedback from anyone with personal experience. Not looking for sympathy but opinions and advice. Cobra would last me 18 months and cost me almost a grand a month. I can get a great BCBS policy from the ACA for $305 per month.

Coz
Health insurance for $305 per month is not health insurance, plan on paying at least $1,000 per month or more

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, most of those are basically catastrophic coverage with some preventive coverage built in, like doctor's visits and labs with copays. Not bad, per se, but not going to cover much of anything major until you are way WAY out of pocket.

But then, most employer-provided plans are the same. Ours is... our deductible is going up to almost $8k per person/$16k family.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, most of those are basically catastrophic coverage with some preventive coverage built in, like doctor's visits and labs with copays. Not bad, per se, but not going to cover much of anything major until you are way WAY out of pocket.

But then, most employer-provided plans are the same. Ours is... our deductible is going up to almost $8k per person/$16k family.

Did Obamacare fix all that?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know much about the Obamacare plans now, but back in 2014, the wife looked into it because she wasn't old enough for Medicare. The best plan she could get would have her paying $3000 per year for premiums ($250 a month) and having a $10,000 deductible. Thus, she would have spent $13,000 before the insurance paid anything. Pay close attention to any deductibles.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well no offense as I like most of you but y’all are clueless as to the ACA and ObamaCare. Premium. Subsidies are income based and not asset tested. With my cash savings and limited withdrawals from taxable accounts I qualify for a $1540 monthly subsidy with which I can buy a $1845 BCBS policy for $305 per month. It is in no way different than the BCBS policy any of you may hold. When I flash my BCBS card at the doctor office they know no difference. Now......back to my question. Anyone with ACA experience?

Coz

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well no offense as I like most of you but y’all are clueless as to the ACA and ObamaCare. Premium. Subsidies are income based and not asset tested. With my cash savings and limited withdrawals from taxable accounts I qualify for a $1540 monthly subsidy with which I can buy a $1845 BCBS policy for $305 per month. It is in no way different than the BCBS policy any of you may hold. When I flash my BCBS card at the doctor office they know no difference. Now......back to my question. Anyone with ACA experience?

Coz

So what's your deductible with that plan? I have been told the plan we have at work is the same as the one purchased on the exchanges, which is aka "Obamacare".

<edit> And I'd probably say a "great policy" doesn't really exist in the commercial marketplace anymore. This is just my experience, of course.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Coz

Glad you said it LOL.

There is no "Obamacare" plan.... only private insurance that is subsidized or not. If you qualify for that subsidy then take it, BCBS (typically) has the largest network in Oklahoma, or they did a few years back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom