Academy manager fired for stopping gun theft ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I guess the takeaway is that a thief can go to Academy and just walk out with a gun unmolested? I gotta feeling those corporate numbers are going to change.
Yep. I've witnessed thefts at both Tulsa locations several times. They have a "do not pursue " policy. I saw an employee get her ass ate just for going outside to get the license plate number.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, so many stupid policies in my job because they have been sued for one thing or another. Like I said, I can see this policy for most things, but a firearm? That should warrant a tackle. Especially when its obvious they are trying to dash out of the store with it.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The loss of a Tupperware gun is nothing compared to the lawsuit that Academy could be facing. Maybe not in Oklahoma, but I could see the thief suing the store for injuries in other states.

I get that, but a, your suspended for 4 days with pay and we want you to think long and hard about our CYA policy while your at home, would have made way more sense in this instance!!
Dude was just doing the right thing!@!! Prevents someone from stealing a gun and possibly killing some one, and he is fired, shows how f'ed this country is !!

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get that, but a, your suspended for 4 days with pay and we want you to think long and hard about our CYA policy while your at home, would have made way more sense in this instance!!
Dude was just doing the right thing!@!! Prevents someone from stealing a gun and possibly killing some one, and he is fired, shows how f'ed this country is !!

Yep, gotta love how our judicial system is slanted for the lawyers to bilk both sides.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as you are responsible for hundreds of employees and millions of dollars worth of assets, feel free to make all the "reasonable" policies you see fit. Those leaders who do, didn't get there by being stupid.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't disagree he should have met him at the front door with a 34 oz louisville slugger between the eyes, but company policy is what your required to follow, and looking at some of the earlier responses, where tremendous lawsuits followed, he failed to follow them and the company was following up.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as you are responsible for hundreds of employees and millions of dollars worth of assets, feel free to make all the "reasonable" policies you see fit. Those leaders who do, didn't get there by being stupid.

I get why they have the policy in place of let them go , I do not get firing someone for doing the right thing!! Not calling anyone stupid, I am calling them wrong for firing this guy!! Just being a "leader" does not make you right!!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree he should have met him at the front door with a 34 oz louisville slugger between the eyes, but company policy is what your required to follow, and looking at some of the earlier responses, where tremendous lawsuits followed, he failed to follow them and the company was following up.

Understand that , but whoever put the policy to fire in place needs kicked in the britches!! Other forms of punishment are available!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom