Academy manager fired for stopping gun theft ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next time you are in one of these type of stores, take a look around at all the employees. Imagine making policies that would be appropriate for all of them. That's where policies come from. I don't care for "zero tolerance" policies, but they are probably the best idea for large number of unequal skill employees. The last thing you want is for every employee to start making up their own actions for any potential situation. Firing may be too harsh, but the penalty must be the same for everyone.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Next time you are in one of these type of stores, take a look around at all the employees. Imagine making policies that would be appropriate for all of them. That's where policies come from. I don't care for "zero tolerance" policies, but they are probably the best idea for large number of unequal skill employees. The last thing you want is for every employee to start making up their own actions for any potential situation. Firing may be too harsh, but the penalty must be the same for everyone.

Firing is too harsh is all I am saying!! Retraining, demotion, time off, whole list of punishment that while changing his reaction to the next issue, still leaves the person with a job!

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If they are going to have a no chase, no stop policy, then they do not need to be allowing people to handle firearms. Plain and simple. Like I said, for everything else in the store, I understand. Trust me, I do. Firearms? No. I don't care how much they might get sued, that's a drop in the bucket to prevent someone from having a stolen gun and killing someone with it. Maybe have non-working replicas so people can handle them, rack the slide, etc. Or, have a secured area where if they try to run they can be contained without intervention on the employees part. Something to prevent the theft of a firearm.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are going to have a no chase, no stop policy, then they do not need to be allowing people to handle firearms. Plain and simple. Like I said, for everything else in the store, I understand. Trust me, I do. Firearms? No. I don't care how much they might get sued, that's a drop in the bucket to prevent someone from having a stolen gun and killing someone with it. Maybe have non-working replicas so people can handle them, rack the slide, etc. Or, have a secured area where if they try to run they can be contained without intervention on the employees part. Something to prevent the theft of a firearm.

I’d go to a secured area to handle firearms to alleviate the worry of theft, maybe even have a door where it’s an electronic lock and has a big red button under the counter like the “emergency gasoline shut offs” at gas stations.

SABOT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You know, I see stories like this, and I wonder if its time for gun manufactures to start sending non-working demo guns. Something like everything else is the same but the barrel is solid or plugged at the breech end. That way if its stolen it can't be used. I know the barrel can be swapped. But if it was marked demo, non-functional it might stop some thieves.
Probably not, a "gun" is a gun if it looks like a gun. If you have one pointed at you the fear is real wheter its functional or not. And besides, criminals are stupid.

I for one, am glad that good people will do the right thing. Even if it costs them their job.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not, a "gun" is a gun if it looks like a gun. If you have one pointed at you the fear is real wheter its functional or not. And besides, criminals are stupid.

I for one, am glad that good people will do the right thing. Even if it costs them their job.

Yes, but kinda hard to kill someone with a non-functioning prop gun, unless you bludgeon them to death with it.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we should combine the Big Red Button idea with the secure handling room idea and the non-functioning firearm idea and then we'd really have an idea. It just might stop the madness.

Latest posts

Top Bottom