Academy manager fired for stopping gun theft ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if the salesman is injured when he heroically morphs into a cop? Does the store's insurance cover him for assuming a role he is expressly prohibited from performing? There are reasons for rules. I don't always like rules and I don't always like reasons. That doesn't mean that they don't exist.
I've got a little sympathy for the hero, but not much. He lost a crumby job and he'll get another one. I plan to just forget about the whole thing. What I lack is empathy. I'm working on that.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if, unbeknownst to the manager, the would-be thief has some congenital health issue that results in him being severely injured or killed? What if he panics and hurts another customer, or an employee?

Yes, it sucks to see thieves get away with their thieving, but the rules are there for a reason. Getting involved is just too much potential liability, especially to a big (read: deep-pocketed) company like Academy.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if, unbeknownst to the manager, the would-be thief has some congenital health issue that results in him being severely injured or killed? What if he panics and hurts another customer, or an employee?
What if he loaded the weapon in the parking lot (with the ammo he had also stolen) and returned to the store for a killing spree?

The problem with society today is that there's little responsibility and/or repercussions for one's own actions. So he stole a gun and died of fright (or whatever) when the manager tackled him. I don't have a problem with that.

If a perp blatantaly breaks the law in front of witnesses (and undoubtedly on camera), all resulting risks and liabilities should be his/hers IMO.

Just my two cents. :drunk2:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if the perp doesn't have pockets deep enough to cover the liabilities that we all believe he is responsible for?
MOST of the time he's just a thief, and he's on camera so you call the real police.

Last edited:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The laws that cover restitution are pretty much gonna fall in the evil corporation's lap, that's why evil corporations have like- it- or- not rules. We're all victims of The Way Things Are. We're trapped in a world we never made. We're all thrown into this mess and nobody likes it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom