Academy Sports CEO supports DNC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethempokes

New to the site!
Reaction score
I hate to be this guy, but...

The owner/CEO of Academy Sports & Outdoors is a regular donor to Schumer, Daschle, Edwards and other Democrat campaigns. Now, most of his support goes to pseudo-pro-gun dems but this still brings up the question: Is he trying to cause a run on firearms for profit? No, I'm not wearing a tin foil cap or anything like that. I just wonder why this guy would bite the hand that feeds him (gun sales).

Donation list

He graduated with a degree in Chinese studies from Harvard so the liberal lean is to be expected. But, the constant donations to those who would try to kill his cash cow seems odd.

I'll retreat back to my dittohead bunker with lead-lined walls. That is all.

Edit: the corporation's donation list with the lovely Barbara Boxer taking $1000.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hate to be this guy, but...

The owner/CEO of Academy Sports & Outdoors is a regular donor to Schumer, Daschle, Edwards and other Democrat campaigns. Now, most of his support goes to pseudo-pro-gun dems but this still brings up the question: Is he trying to cause a run on firearms for profit? No, I'm not wearing a tin foil cap or anything like that. I just wonder why this guy would bite the hand that feeds him (gun sales).

Donation list

He graduated with a degree in Chinese studies from Harvard so the liberal lean is to be expected. But, the constant donations to those who would try to kill his cash cow seems odd.

I'll retreat back to my dittohead bunker with lead-lined walls. That is all.

Most lage corporate heads donate to whoever will help their business plan.The fact that Academy not only is a source of most calibers of ammo as well as firearms is more telling.They also don't have those silly no gun stickers on their stores. Steve

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most lage corporate heads donate to whoever will help their business plan.The fact that Academy not only is a source of most calibers of ammo as well as firearms is more telling.They also don't have those silly no gun stickers on their stores. Steve

Well, they have given me some hassles with fondling/purchasing guns before that was a bit unexpected. Firstly, there's the policy of "must be 21 or older to purchase/handle 'assault weapons' ". I have only had them ask for ID on that one a couple times. Secondly, when I went to Academy in Tulsa (don't remember which one) to purchase my Para 1911, my DL address was not the same as my current address (though it is an OK DL and both addresses were street addresses in OK). The teenager at the counter almost didn't sell me the pistol until I told him that the address on my DL was my "permanent home" address while the one I was going to put down on the 4473 was my "college home" address. He let it slide, but I think this was due in part to the fact that I had gone through a 3 month hassle to buy the pistol in the first place (long story that is irrelevant to this discussion). Anyway, I have never had any other FFL have a problem with the fact that my address on my DL didn't match what I was putting down on my 4473. Academy very well could have been in the right on this one, but seeing as they have been the exception and not the rule, I'm going to be lean towards them being wrong.

lovethempokes

New to the site!
Reaction score
I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to "bad-mouth" this corporation for their political leanings because they differ from mine. I buy all of my fishing supplies from them and will continue to do so. I just find it contradictory to what they do for revenue. If you look at the (oh so biased) NRA rankings on these same politicians, they have D's and F's on the topic of gun rights. My industry tends to support the campaigns of those who will serve us well in Congress...not those who are out to hamper our business.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to "bad-mouth" this corporation for their political leanings because they differ from mine. I buy all of my fishing supplies from them and will continue to do so. I just find it contradictory to what they do for revenue. If you look at the (oh so biased) NRA rankings on these same politicians, they have D's and F's on the topic of gun rights. My industry tends to support the campaigns of those who will serve us well in Congress...not those who are out to hamper our business.

Guns and ammo are a very tiny part of Academy's bottom line.I'm sure there are types of government regulation that are more important to them(Academy) than a politicians leanings towards guns.I am defending them,they sell ammo and they have good prices on shoes and Wrangler jeans.:thumb: Steve

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If his donations to the DNC keep the ammo supplied in his stores,let him give more.It just goes to show that just becasue you have a D next to your name,you're not a automatically a bleeding heart liberal..:anyone:

[size=-8]but you really gotta keep an eye on them though[/size]

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shopped at Academy for years now and have noticed a SHARP decline in the gun and hunting sections for the last few years. They still have them but their selection is far from what it used to be. I do not wear the tin foil hat either but I feel that Academy is moving more to the sports side and leaving the outdoor section behind. I do not fish a lot but have noticed the fishing section getting larger every spring. Large companies are trying harder than ever to make profit and keep the doors open. (keep shareholders happy too) If they quit selling the outdoor products alltogether I would have no reason to shop there meaning that my money and their market share goes somewhere else. CEO's lose their jobs everyday for making decisions that alienate loyal customers Just my two cents.:friday:

WAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to know about the contributions because it will influence my purchasing behavior. I'm not interested in boycotting them because one of their top executives is an idiot but all other area sporting goods retailers just moved up a notch on the preference list.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I visited the Academy in Plano yesterday-----what a selection of handguns! 5-6 times more than any in OKC; I don't care about his political leanings unless it proves to further the Dem's causes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom