Accidental breaking and entering and manslaughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read several articles on this incident and do not believe the female officer committed murder. I do believe that she was reckless, overconfident, overbearing and should never have worn a badge. In my little mind, her actions amount to voluntary manslaughter. Although we will never know the truth in the matter, I speculate that when accosted by a uniformed officer, the victim (in all probability) contributed to the confusion, intensity and violence that ensued.....
A uniformed officer in a place she had no right or authority to be. She was a home invader, uniformed or not.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad and I were speculating about the basis for a murder charge. Our theory is based in the "felony murder" rule, wherein any death occurring during the commission of a felony is automatically murder; the underlying felony in this case could be pointing the gun, discharging the gun, or any of several others. It could also be that other evidence was presented to the GJ that makes it look like less of an honest mistake than her PR folks have been suggesting.

I recall her story changing over time. This was probably due to her instinct to protect herself, but it makes her look bad and deceptive. Still, I could not convict her of murder as a juror unless a previous relationship or confrontation was proven to have occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall her story changing over time. This was probably due to her instinct to protect herself, but it makes her look bad and deceptive. Still, I could not convict her of murder as a juror unless a previous relationship or confrontation was proven to have occurred.
I ask this question honestly, not to pick on you: do you believe in the felony murder rule? Under the Oklahoma definitions, felony murder 1 is defined as:
12 O.S. 701.7
B. A person also commits the crime of murder in the first degree, regardless of malice, when that person or any other person takes the life of a human being during, or if the death of a human being results from, the commission or attempted commission of murder of another person, shooting or discharge of a firearm or crossbow with intent to kill, intentional discharge of a firearm or other deadly weapon into any dwelling or building as provided in Section 1289.17A of this title, forcible rape, robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, escape from lawful custody, eluding an officer, first degree burglary, first degree arson, unlawful distributing or dispensing of controlled dangerous substances or synthetic controlled substances, trafficking in illegal drugs, or manufacturing or attempting to manufacture a controlled dangerous substance.​

And felony murder 2 is defined as:
21 O.S. 701.8
2. When perpetrated by a person engaged in the commission of any felony other than the unlawful acts set out in Section 1, subsection B, of this act.​

Thus, any death occurring in the commission of any felony is automatically murder, either first degree or second depending upon the underlying felony.

So, if you say you couldn't convict without a "previous relationship or confrontation," do you reject the felony murder rule in its entirely?

(There's a decent argument to be made either way; I just want to know your thoughts.)

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When this first came out and we were all speculating I was the one to come up with the jealous ex with a key theory (see post #38). @Dave70968 replied with murder 1(see post #39). I'm thinking the grand jury knows something that hasn't been leaked to the press yet. Just my opinion.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What felony did she commit, aside from the actual homicide, that would allow the invocation of the felony murder rule?

I can't speak to Texas law, but in Oklahoma there are two different statutes regarding pointing of a weapon. If one "accidentally" points a weapon at someone, say in handling the weapon around even to verify it is empty, it would be a misdemeanor (Oklahoma statute 21-1279). If one "intentionally" points a weapon at someone, it can be a felony (Oklahoma statute 21-1289-16).

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ask this question honestly, not to pick on you: do you believe in the felony murder rule? Under the Oklahoma definitions, felony murder 1 is defined as:
12 O.S. 701.7
B. A person also commits the crime of murder in the first degree, regardless of malice, when that person or any other person takes the life of a human being during, or if the death of a human being results from, the commission or attempted commission of murder of another person, shooting or discharge of a firearm or crossbow with intent to kill, intentional discharge of a firearm or other deadly weapon into any dwelling or building as provided in Section 1289.17A of this title, forcible rape, robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, escape from lawful custody, eluding an officer, first degree burglary, first degree arson, unlawful distributing or dispensing of controlled dangerous substances or synthetic controlled substances, trafficking in illegal drugs, or manufacturing or attempting to manufacture a controlled dangerous substance.​

And felony murder 2 is defined as:
21 O.S. 701.8
2. When perpetrated by a person engaged in the commission of any felony other than the unlawful acts set out in Section 1, subsection B, of this act.​

Thus, any death occurring in the commission of any felony is automatically murder, either first degree or second depending upon the underlying felony.

So, if you say you couldn't convict without a "previous relationship or confrontation," do you reject the felony murder rule in its entirely?

(There's a decent argument to be made either way; I just want to know your thoughts.)

I agree with the Felony Murder Rule to the extent that any death directly caused in the commission of a serious crime, or indirectly due to physical processes set in motion by the actions of the perpetrator (motor vehicle accidents, fires falls, etc) should be charged as Murder (1).

However, I do not concur with our State’s Statute, or interpretation of said Statute, which charges collateral deaths caused by the Police response including gunfire, motor vehicle accidents, etc against the perpetrator. This element of the law discourages prudence and the exercise of due caution by those enforcing the law and literally offers Carte Blanche without consequences to those engaged in pursuit and arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom