Accidental Discharge Stories????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
at 17 - a person in back seat of car loaded a 62a winchester. the gun discharged as he let down the hammer. the bullet just dented teh door outward. window was up.

thank goodness 0 bad occured other than to have clean out my drawers...

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hesitate to tell this because it is still embarrassing. It does provide a lesson much like the others. Most of these NDs are caused by a chain of screw ups and not a single mistake. Lot like auto accidents.

A dozen years ago or so while sitting in an upstairs appartment (won't say where) after having come home for Wannenmachers (sp?). A former friend had just purchased a new EAA Witness in 9mm, polymer frame. By all accounts a really nice shooter. Both of us were very careful for the most part and followed the general rules of gun safety...however...

He wanted to test feeding because we had heard that there were issue with the gun plus he wanted to check mag cap...or some other thing. So he stuffed 15 rounds in the mag and started cycling them through the gun (first mistake - or not depending on how you look at it). He counted 15 dropped the mag, looked at it, put it back and handed the weapon to me without checking the chamber (second mistake). Clue: The slide dropped after the last round was counted.
While we both observed the first and second rules (1. Point the weapon in a, relatively, safe direction - in this case up due to the apt down stairs. 2. Treat it as loaded...etc). I take the weapon and, per my habit, attempt to clear the thing before I do anything else - while keeping it pointed in the least dangerous direction (up and away from everyone). Unfortunately the frame is a still a little slick and as I pulled the slide back the gun tried to work out of my grip - it had a very heavy slide spring. I made a quick effort to regain my purchase so the slide wouldn't pinch me or I drop the thing. That caused the weapon to twist in my hand and my booger hook wound up in the the trigger guard about the same time I let go of the slide which resulted in a 4 deaf individuals and a hole in the roof. It was DA/SA so the having achieved the half cocked position (I didn't get it fully back or the round would likely have fallen out) the DA pull was low enough that trying to retain the weapon didn't help things at all.

I was extremely embarrassed because had I been attentive it would have never happened. On the up side following at least two of the rules may have prevented anything worse from happening. FOLLOW ALL THE RULES! That way if you ever miss one it's unlikely that anyone will loose a body part or worse. :cry3:

By the way it wasn't a BOOM, BANG, POP or CRACK. It was a "WEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....." (instant and deafening tinnitus). Took a good long time before shouting was no longer necessary.

Worm79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
some of you may remember this story. A few years ago while I was working with Eric at OPS a guy brought in a Glock to get some sights put on. I was helping somebody and said give me a sec and ill be with you. So him being around firarms for 30 plus years he was aware that the slide had to come off for me to fo that. Well he pointed the gun at the ground over the counter inbetween me and another employee and without clearing it he pulled the trigger to remove the slide and BANG!!! round went off hit inside of counter and bounced off floor and tore a hole through the jacket of the other employee. The guy had forgot his buddy had been messing with his gun last. Its a very unnerving deal to go through. It required me to go to the back and sit for a few.

Latest posts

Top Bottom