Accuracy training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can noobs get in? Thinking about doing the steel challenge.
Curious what the classes are on the website.
Class

GM

M

A

B

C

D

Unclassified

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unclassified means you have not shot in Steel challenge or you are not registered in the steel challenge shooting association (SCSA) to be rated.
Also the club where you shoot has to be associated with SCSA so scores can be submitted for ranking. The better/faster/you get will result in a higher ranking.
As you get faster, your rank improves. GM is the top of the heap. Grand Masters have mastered the discipline.

Here is the Home website of SCSA. It explains everything you need to know. Probably in too much detail. http://steelchallenge.com/

The matches are very informal, safety being the first priority. When looking at the website, do not be chased away by the fancy jerseys and full race guns. That's the pro's.

Around here, box stock Ruger 10-22's dominate the rifle scene. Pistol shooters for the most part shoot Iron sight Ruger Mark II or III's as well as Buckmarks. Completely stock. The occasional Colt Woodsman, M&P, Sig, etc. will show up, and so on.
The other division is optics. A red dot scope mounted on the rifle or pistol puts the shooter in that division.

Its a FUN SHOOT:D
Don't come expecting a bunch of serious competitors trying to out game the others. We all rib the other shooter for making a mistake, and in return, it comes back if you do. Great fun, and as a side note, it makes you more familiar with your gun, and what it takes to make your gun run reliably.
I've seen folks show up with guns so dry that they couldn't make 5 shots in a row without a malfunction. Sometimes, one of the more experience shooters will ask if you need some assistance and help diagnose the problem. Amazing what a drop or two of lube will do for the reliability of a gun.
Some of the fastest folks out there will have malfunctions. Its just part of the game, and the learning experience.
You won't regret shooting the match, and if you have kids, they get to shoot too!
Steel challenge with the lack of movement and just focusing on shooting the gun is a great way to introduce the kids to shooting.
Just about every SC at the OKC Gun club has a half dozen or more kids in the 8-14 year old age group come out to shoot with their parents or relatives.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unclassified means you have not shot in Steel challenge or you are not registered in the steel challenge shooting association (SCSA) to be rated.
Also the club where you shoot has to be associated with SCSA so scores can be submitted for ranking. The better/faster/you get will result in a higher ranking.
As you get faster, your rank improves. GM is the top of the heap. Grand Masters have mastered the discipline.

Here is the Home website of SCSA. It explains everything you need to know. Probably in too much detail. http://steelchallenge.com/

The matches are very informal, safety being the first priority. When looking at the website, do not be chased away by the fancy jerseys and full race guns. That's the pro's.

Around here, box stock Ruger 10-22's dominate the rifle scene. Pistol shooters for the most part shoot Iron sight Ruger Mark II or III's as well as Buckmarks. Completely stock. The occasional Colt Woodsman, M&P, Sig, etc. will show up, and so on.
The other division is optics. A red dot scope mounted on the rifle or pistol puts the shooter in that division.

Its a FUN SHOOT:D
Don't come expecting a bunch of serious competitors trying to out game the others. We all rib the other shooter for making a mistake, and in return, it comes back if you do. Great fun, and as a side note, it makes you more familiar with your gun, and what it takes to make your gun run reliably.
I've seen folks show up with guns so dry that they couldn't make 5 shots in a row without a malfunction. Sometimes, one of the more experience shooters will ask if you need some assistance and help diagnose the problem. Amazing what a drop or two of lube will do for the reliability of a gun.
Some of the fastest folks out there will have malfunctions. Its just part of the game, and the learning experience.
You won't regret shooting the match, and if you have kids, they get to shoot too!
Steel challenge with the lack of movement and just focusing on shooting the gun is a great way to introduce the kids to shooting.
Just about every SC at the OKC Gun club has a half dozen or more kids in the 8-14 year old age group come out to shoot with their parents or relatives.
Well I'll be the odd ball with my M&P, might as well shoot my EDC as much as I can to understand her some more.

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the OKC gun club, its probably a 50/50 for centerfire pistol used or .22 rimfire.

Lots of the contestants shoot USPSA as well, and want more practice drawing and getting shooting time in using their center fires.

In Steel challenge, you score against other center fire users if using a CF.
.22 rimfire shooters are scored separately.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the OKC gun club, its probably a 50/50 for centerfire pistol used or .22 rimfire.

Lots of the contestants shoot USPSA as well, and want more practice drawing and getting shooting time in using their center fires.

In Steel challenge, you score against other center fire users if using a CF.
.22 rimfire shooters are scored separately.
It'll be the first time I have to draw from a holster so I have to do it some time haha.

Sent from the Armory

Latest posts

Top Bottom