Accuracy training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Practice at home. Triple check your pistol is clear of ammo, put a spot on a wall, draw, get your front sight on the target, and pull the trigger in a dry fire.

The best competitors do this every day for an hour or longer to develop a routine that comes naturally. It won't hurt your pistol to dry fire it as long as its not a rimfire.

Once you get the routine down, it comes naturally, and the sight picture does as well.
In a game where winning and coming in 2nd place can be 1/10 of a second, the ability to draw and shoot accurately can be a game changer.

Proper grip on the pistol will make a huge difference. Practice that as well. Its hard to describe in text, so the best thing is to search Youtube. There are hundreds of video's that demonstrate the proper grip.

If shooting right hand, your hand should remain relaxed, with only the trigger finger doing the work. Grip maintained by the left hand. The video's will show it better than my explanation.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practice at home. Triple check your pistol is clear of ammo, put a spot on a wall, draw, get your front sight on the target, and pull the trigger in a dry fire.

The best competitors do this every day for an hour or longer to develop a routine that comes naturally. It won't hurt your pistol to dry fire it as long as its not a rimfire.

Once you get the routine down, it comes naturally, and the sight picture does as well.
In a game where winning and coming in 2nd place can be 1/10 of a second, the ability to draw and shoot accurately can be a game changer.

Proper grip on the pistol will make a huge difference. Practice that as well. Its hard to describe in text, so the best thing is to search Youtube. There are hundreds of video's that demonstrate the proper grip.

If shooting right hand, your hand should remain relaxed, with only the trigger finger doing the work. Grip maintained by the left hand. The video's will show it better than my explanation.
I've heard dry firing is bad period but have yet to see the evidence.
And good thing I work afternoon shift. I get to draw during the day :D

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard dry firing is bad period but have yet to see the evidence.
And good thing I work afternoon shift. I get to draw during the day :D

Sent from the Armory

Never heard where dry firing is bad. Every major competitor and some of us wanna-be's do it on a regular basis.

because of the design, .22 rimfire should not be dry fired unless its OK by the factory.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch your front sight when you pull the trigger dry firing. If it dips to the low left, you have gripped the gun with the strong hand, and pulled the trigger with the same.

Lots of drills out there to make sure you have the right grip.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch your front sight when you pull the trigger dry firing. If it dips to the low left, you have gripped the gun with the strong hand, and pulled the trigger with the same.

For the longest time I shot low left

Sent from the Armory

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

See, that right there is the kind if info I need. I have a tendency to shoot high left almost all of the time, and haven't been able to figure out how to stop that. I can usually group relatively well, but it's almost always high and to the left.

Latest posts

Top Bottom