Acorns, acorns and more acorns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a grove of Blackjack Oaks in our backyard and they have put out more acorns then they ever have. We have lived here for 36 years and sometimes the trees would produce a few acorns or none at all.

This year the trees have covered the ground with thousands of acorns. I have been gradually cleaning them up over the past couple weeks. The acorns are still falling so I’ll clean them up some more.

I don’t mind the looks of the ground covered, but hate stepping on them and neither does my dog.

Again, these trees have never produced the massive amount of acorns as they have this year.

I went over to my neighbor’s house today and noticed in his backyard the same scenario. He has many more Blackjack Oaks then we have. His yard was covered in acorns.

So, I’m wondering if others have noticed the same.

Also, wondering if the trees know a hard winter is coming and producing an abundance of acorns for the squirrels and other critters.

Thoughts??????

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I had an oak tree in my yard the first year I was here I was out vacuuming acorns for a month. I figured it would produce like that every year. It didn't. The tree seemed like it had a cycle for about every 3 years it would puke acorns. In between, nothing. One year I had galls all over the tree along with the acorns.

1665770817570.png

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed the acorn crop was enormous this year. Everywhere I have looked acorns on the ground by the bucket full. My trees haven't produced like this in all the years I have lived there. Talking to the old, old timers suppose to mean a hard winter. By the acorns I'm seeing if that's true, I'm expecting temps in the negative 30's.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I had a huge crop from my Burr Oaks, this year it’s about the same although they’re maybe half the size? Decided to put them to use and came up with this recipe for Acorn Bread. My wife loves the stuff.
2CB9EEAC-12F2-4B72-818A-DB511E4E3BD0.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom