Acorns, acorns and more acorns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I had a huge crop from my Burr Oaks, this year it’s about the same although they’re maybe half the size? Decided to put them to use and came up with this recipe for Acorn Bread. My wife loves the stuff. View attachment 310167
Impressive you like them. We have one burr oak in the yard and the deer won't touch them until they fall on the driveway and get crushed. I've read that burr oaks are the least palatable nut in the forest for deer but they will eat them when nothing else is left.
I can kind of agree with that watching our yard deer over the years.
I ate one and they were kind of bitter.
Wondering if your cooking process brings out some flavors and makes them less bitter.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the Oak tree grove that has produced a record number of acorns this year.

This is nine large trunks from one root system. This stand of Oaks was almost this large when we purchased the house 36 years ago. They have been very slow growing, so I have no idea how old they are, but I would think they are quite old.

When my children were young, I had always planned to build a tree fort such as the one in the picture, but life always seemed to get in the way. I built this tree fort 10 years ago out of a mix of scrap treated lumber and new. I had a bunch of scrap lumber left over from various projects.

My adult children and older grandchildren give me a hard time about how they didn’t benefit and how I waited so long to build the tree fort. My younger grandchildren and great grandchildren, as well as, visiting kids have enjoyed the tree fort.

Attachments

• tree fort.jpg
    tree fort.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 0

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I hitched up the lawn trailer behind the lawn mower with a generator and shop vac in it. I collected about 3/4 of a 55 gal. drum full of acorns just from one oak in my front yard. It had never made so many acorns before. It was like walking on marbles before I cleaned them up.

Jim Parry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a grove of Blackjack Oaks in our backyard and they have put out more acorns then they ever have. We have lived here for 36 years and sometimes the trees would produce a few acorns or none at all.

This year the trees have covered the ground with thousands of acorns. I have been gradually cleaning them up over the past couple weeks. The acorns are still falling so I’ll clean them up some more.

I don’t mind the looks of the ground covered, but hate stepping on them and neither does my dog.

Again, these trees have never produced the massive amount of acorns as they have this year.

I went over to my neighbor’s house today and noticed in his backyard the same scenario. He has many more Blackjack Oaks then we have. His yard was covered in acorns.

So, I’m wondering if others have noticed the same.

Also, wondering if the trees know a hard winter is coming and producing an abundance of acorns for the squirrels and other critters.

Thoughts??????
We have a bunch of blackjack oaks and it seems the ground is always covered in acorns. This year has been just as bad as the others - I haven’t really noticed any change in volume. If only there was a market for fallen leaves and acorns, the property would pay for itself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom