Acorns, acorns and more acorns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read an article on Oak trees and excess acorn production. Had something to do with the way the trees spread and that every once in a while, they produce many more acorns than the squirrels and other animals can eat. But they still carry them away and bury them so it increases the chances of more oak trees. There was a term for it, but I can't remember.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Figure i will have another year of over abundance of young red oaks coming up again in the spring, it usually happens every other year now that the trees a more mature.

garry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have 5 large oak trees about 70 years old and this year the acorns are tiny to small in size. Not as many number wise but not all have fallen yet.Hoping that it will be like that where we hunt at Kaw Lake.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here at Grand Lake. We have Oaks around our place. Until last year when we built the roof over our deck, we couldn’t ever go out on the deck without getting pelted with acorns. And man they hurt. Now with the roof, I just smile every time I hear them hit the roof and bounce off.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The acorns on my red oaks are about the size of a peach seed and last year the ground was covered so bad you couldnt drop a pin and miss any.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a grove of Blackjack Oaks in our backyard and they have put out more acorns then they ever have. We have lived here for 36 years and sometimes the trees would produce a few acorns or none at all.

This year the trees have covered the ground with thousands of acorns. I have been gradually cleaning them up over the past couple weeks. The acorns are still falling so I’ll clean them up some more.

I don’t mind the looks of the ground covered, but hate stepping on them and neither does my dog.

Again, these trees have never produced the massive amount of acorns as they have this year.

I went over to my neighbor’s house today and noticed in his backyard the same scenario. He has many more Blackjack Oaks then we have. His yard was covered in acorns.

So, I’m wondering if others have noticed the same.

Also, wondering if the trees know a hard winter is coming and producing an abundance of acorns for the squirrels and other critters.

Thoughts??????
OMG! Our walnut and oak trees have our yard covered in nuts and they aren't done dropping.
Security cams always going off with a sound alert when one hits the roof of the shop.
We got home today from 10 days in Missouri. We used the leaf blower to remove the walnuts from the driveway. Coming home today there were hundreds more. Blew them off again.
Don't know the reason, but living here for 33 years, we have never seen this amount of nuts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom