Acreage and shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are in the position, financially, to make a move to either Choctaw / Newalla / Norman / Mustang / Tuttle / Norman / Newcastle. Somewhere with acreages (what I consider suburbs) but close enough to commute for work in OKC.

If I'm not mistaken, it's illegal to fire off your weapon in OKC.
Just wondering if anyone know the laws / regulations on
1) number of acres for a homeowner to fire off a weapon / a personal gun range? 2) Which of the cities are more relax with guns going off?

Thank you

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are SW of Piedmont in a little triangle between Piedmont and OKC and Richland so we aren’t in any city limits. Our sales tax is lower for things like propane and we can use firearms toward the berm that is in front of the creek behind us.
You may want to look for places outside of any city limits if you can quit cable and don’t mind bad local roads. We have 1 1/2 miles to NW Expressway then it’s smooth sailing, for OK anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the noise ordinances you really need to worry about. You can shoot within the city limits if it is safe to do so, the major problem you will run in to is the noise of the act.

So the thing to do is make sure you have enough land to build up a proper berm and shoot safely. If you will be within the true city limits and not just the sip code you will then probably want to invest in a suppressor or instead of building a berm get a bunch of large drainage pipe and build an indoor shooting range with it. If you build the shooting shelter elevate the drainage pipe at the height you intend to shoot, build a backstop setup a baffle system so that you can ventilate out on the far end and intake on the near end. A small thick walled shed on the near end and a couple pulleys with a clothes line and a target holder and you are in business after covering the pipe.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this day of age NO place is immune from someone objecting to your shooting.. We've got 10 acres between OKC and Tulsa and I have my own range and been visited by the Sheriff due to a neighbors complaint.. Off topic, I was flabbergasted to see that google earth shows my 5 berms, no privacy today.. To me, none of those places sounds appealing, you want to try again..:sorry4:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this day of age NO place is immune from someone objecting to your shooting.. We've got 10 acres between OKC and Tulsa and I have my own range and been visited by the Sheriff due to a neighbors complaint..

I believe Dennis Hoddy posted something similar at some point with a neighbor calling and saying their house was getting shot up. That is about the time you invite the officer to come out some time and shoot or recommend that they inform the complainant about filing a false police report if they are claiming damages.

I live in the city limits but less than a mile away is outside the limits and on weekends often hear some shooting happening. Doesn't bother me a bit and wish I knew who it was so I could quit paying someone to be able to shoot after driving to OKC.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe Dennis Hoddy posted something similar at some point with a neighbor calling and saying their house was getting shot up. That is about the time you invite the officer to come out some time and shoot or recommend that they inform the complainant about filing a false police report if they are claiming damages.

I live in the city limits but less than a mile away is outside the limits and on weekends often hear some shooting happening. Doesn't bother me a bit and wish I knew who it was so I could quit paying someone to be able to shoot after driving to OKC.

I know the officers names and it was a good visit with them saying NO way to the neighbors claim, he bald faced lied, I had 2 buddies here which backed up the neighbors attitude.. I filed a counter report because of the threats/ promises the loud mouth made when he came here, If he's dumb enough to step on this property again my knuckles will meet his mouth..

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for replying.
FreeSpiritBalloon: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll watch out for properties in that area more.
NightShade: That's an interesting suggestions. My own indoor shooting range sounds appealing. Not sure if I can get the wife to agree to the extra costs.
Timmy59: I guess we can only hope for like-minded neighbors; but, unfortunately, won't know until after purchasing the property.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little 5 foot square block wall building with a door and a roof plus the drain pipe. The pipe only needs to be large enough to run a target back and forth. You save on some dirt work and spend a little more on materials but with something like that it would be no different than shooting at a commercial range. So tell her you plan to shoot once a week from here on out and the cost at ten bucks a pop over ten years is about 5000 so why not just have your own.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly right. Officers and game warden did come out, and had no issues with my setup. I shoot 180 degrees away from the old hags house with my house being between where I shoot from to the berm.
I don't shoot a lot there as I have a nice outdoor range available elsewhere, but do shoot to verify some new loads, etc. That's the benifit in my case of living in the country. There are only safety issues, not noise issues that LEO can be concerned about.
I even have a small rimfire berm set up at 25 yds where I shoot from inside my insulated shop building out the 12' shop door thats lowered. My wife has stood outdoors and said its very quiet. Sounds like the shots are a long way off.
To the OP, get a suppressor, and don't look back.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't consider Newcastle unless you're at least 500 yards away from a structure. That's any structure not just a house. A barn, a well house, an outhouse, or even a chicken coop, any structure. If you could find some land adjoining the South Canadian river you would probably be all right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom