Ada Range day 1/28/17

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to look it up. I'm using a cheap Midway break. The Ar don't have that big of recoil, but after watching the youtube vid on the BH Rolling Thunder, I gotta have one. It would be nice to have little movement when zeroing or using my red dot.

You think the AR in 223 has no recoil until you put a brake on it and it and then you realize that it has more than you thought. It cuts it an amazing amount. I only bought it because I was curious. Too much noise for hunting and I have a 223 can now so I havent seen it in a few years. I want to see what it does on my 22/45 and if I decide I dont want it on there I may throw it on the pass it down thread or give it to you if you want it.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You think the AR in 223 has no recoil until you put a brake on it and it and then you realize that it has more than you thought. It cuts it an amazing amount. I only bought it because I was curious. Too much noise for hunting and I have a 223 can now so I havent seen it in a few years. I want to see what it does on my 22/45 and if I decide I dont want it on there I may throw it on the pass it down thread or give it to you if you want it.
Only if I can pay for it. Thanks

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I wasn't thinking about speed shooting. I just wonder if the .22 pistol is inherently easier to shoot well than a center fire pistol. Perhaps it has something to do with the unconscious realization that the .22 lacks recoil, which would allow the shooter to relax more. I have quit shooting center fire rifles from the bench because none of them have displayed accuracy close to what my least expensive .22 rifle is capable of achieving. It is not just lack of recoil that makes shooting the .22 so much more enjoyable, there is also the lack of muzzle blast. Perhaps we unconsciously brace ourselves for the recoil and muzzle blast to the detriment of accuracy? I don't know, which is why I'm asking these questions.

Don't disagree at all with your reasoning. BUT your least expensive .22 is thrice what some centerfires cost. Lol. It's a genuine pleasure to shoot an accurate rifle.
I do agree anticipated muzzle blast may have something to do with it.
If I'm on the bench shooting the 06, or the AR with the brake I actually kind of dread the muzzle blast.
After a long session I get a headache from it.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm on record as being critical of short-barreled AR-15s with muzzle brakes. (Question: What does a muzzle brake do for an AR-15? Answer: Stops it before it hits another poodle! I'm joking...kinda) FWIW, I've got a Mini-14 (no poodle brake, thank you) and I don't even enjoy shooting that from the bench. I've gotten rid of a number of CF rifles lately, and shoot .22 LR 99.99% of the time these days.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I dont want it, itll be free. Someone on here sent me something for free a few months back and I havent had a chance to pay it forward as the kids say now days. Ill let you know in a week or two.

That is an excellent way to foster a sense of community here. Thanks in advance for that. A member here has said he is bringing me some Ballistol at the ENS, and doesn't want me to pay for it...just being a nice guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom