adding heat to the garage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago on an automotive forum we were discussing this topic. Someone suggested that you might want to avoid open flame heating sources if you're planning on working with things that tend to get explodey, like gasoline vapors--and if you have one and you're generating fine sawdust, you probably ought to invest in a dust collection system.

Can't say I've ever worked in a heated garage, so I've never tested that theory.

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any possibility of CO poisoning?

Woody
With any fossil fuel burning heater there's a possibility of co poisoning, even residential and commercial natural gas dryers, ovens, hvac units and water heaters. The risk with that heater is no greater, but I would definitely have a co detector anywhere you use fossil fuel for energy.

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago on an automotive forum we were discussing this topic. Someone suggested that you might want to avoid open flame heating sources if you're planning on working with things that tend to get explodey, like gasoline vapors--and if you have one and you're generating fine sawdust, you probably ought to invest in a dust collection system.

Can't say I've ever worked in a heated garage, so I've never tested that theory.
Yeah that's a good point! I wouldn't do any loading, woodwork, or use solvents for sure.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
...I am actually going to upgrade to a mini split heat pump...
I have a Lennox brand ducted mini-split system for 2 bedrooms and bathroom that suppliments the original home HVAC. The evaporator failed after 18 months, warranty covered a new unit but I had to pay the labor.
If I was to do it again I'd want to choose a different brand and make sure that it has electric resistance heating coils to provide heat when the ambient is below zero.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Got in my truck the other morning and water bottle inside was frozen solid. That was a first.
I’ve found plenty of frozen solid plastic water bottles in my vehicles over the years, but I did have a first this year. Friday morning I went out to get my truck cleared off; I was planning on going to work, so I took my metal Contigo thermos full of ice water and stuck it in the cup holder. After I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and went back inside, I forgot the Contigo, so when I went out to the truck on Saturday, the ice water inside was frozen solid.

I was afraid that it’d bust the seam inside, but after sitting on the counter in the kitchen overnight, it appeared to be none the worse for the wear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom