adding heat to the garage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Lennox brand ducted mini-split system for 2 bedrooms and bathroom that suppliments the original home HVAC. The evaporator failed after 18 months, warranty covered a new unit but I had to pay the labor.
If I was to do it again I'd want to choose a different brand and make sure that it has electric resistance heating coils to provide heat when the ambient is below zero.
Most of them are made by a couple manufacturers and a bunch have had evap failures along with control boards.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an empire ventless similar to what bigred has mounted rigged on propane that I mounted on 4x4’s. I use it if I lose power.
If you can swing it my preference is ceiling mount radiant heaters with sealed combustion chambers. I put a tube in my old shop. Was great. Heats objects more than air. Safer also in dusty environments or messing with combustibles. Put several in auto and body shops including a couple outdoor patios at residence and restaurants.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It says they attempted over 2,000 different scenarios and situations where gasoline and a lit cigarette could interact, and not a single attempt resulted in the gasoline catching on fire.

So, which is more volatile; liquid gasoline or gasoline vapor? And, just for giggles, I'd like a list of those 2000 different scenarios and situations.

That, or give us a link to the source of that little smidgen of info that isn't even all there.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, which is more volatile; liquid gasoline or gasoline vapor? And, just for giggles, I'd like a list of those 2000 different scenarios and situations.

That, or give us a link to the source of that little smidgen of info that isn't even all there.
I posted the link above. There’s lots of info on the net about this. Vapor is much more volatile of course.

Lighting a cigarette around gasoline vapors is extremely dangerous.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The vapor must be mixed with enough air - oxygen - to ignite. Fuel pumps are put inside fuel tanks because the fumes are too rich to ingite. The fuel pumps in my Suburban and Tahoe are inside the fuel tanks.

Woody

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The vapor must be mixed with enough air - oxygen - to ignite. Fuel pumps are put inside fuel tanks because the fumes are too rich to ingite. The fuel pumps in my Suburban and Tahoe are inside the fuel tanks.

Woody
I made a new thread in Gearheads to discuss the possibility of a cigarette igniting gasoline vapors.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the Chi-Com diesel heaters on Amazon. Seems cheap and efficient. I seen where a guy was heating a 1500sq’ home with one. No matter which way you go make sure you get all the various detectors to make sure you don’t kick the bucket.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted the link above. There’s lots of info on the net about this. Vapor is much more volatile of course.

Lighting a cigarette around gasoline vapors is extremely dangerous.
Yep, I was trying to get a brush pile started that had become damp earlier in the day. Using a little gas as an accelerant to get enough kindling going to start building heat and drying out the rest. What I didn't account for was a buddy coming up behind me and lighting a cigarette while I was still pouring. The flash startled me and I immediately tossed the can out into the gravel driveway but not before getting 2nd and 3rd degree burns from my tshirt line down to my fingers. 2 weeks of daily debriding and a couple of years of wearing a sun sleeve on that arm when working and all is well now.

I typically used diesel for this process, but didnt have any. I had a 6' long stick with an old oil rag wrapped around the end I had planned to use to light the center of the pile. I didnt make it that far in the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom