Adult red ryder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worked with a guy that had a similar story...

His BB gun had jammed when he was a kid, and he couldn't get the muzzle to twist by hand. So he got a grip on it with his teeth, and when it did twist open, it went off in his mouth.

He said he made about 3 laps around the house before his Dad could catch him to see why he was screaming. His folks didn't see any damage from the BB, so they assumed he had either swallowed it or spit it out.

Anywho... he came back to work from the dentist appointment, told us the story, and said you could clearly see on the x-ray where the BB was still in the roof of his mouth. :D
:drunk2:

One day I came home from grade school and was on our front porch and had the BB gun between my legs cocking it and evidently it was not fully cocked and I let go of the lever and it slammed it my family jewels. I remember vividly rolling around the porch in agony. My parents were not home from work yet and I don't think I ever mentioned it to them. Taught me not to cock the BB gun between my legs.

Also my younger brother still has a BB embedded in his thigh. Don't know if he ever told my parents or not. He did get me back at me later by embedding a dart into my leg. It's a wonder we all lived!

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One day I came home from grade school and was on our front porch and had the BB gun between my legs cocking it and evidently it was not fully cocked and I let go of the lever and it slammed it my family jewels. I remember vividly rolling around the porch in agony. My parents were not home from work yet and I don't think I ever mentioned it to them. Taught me not to cock the BB gun between my legs.

Also my younger brother still has a BB embedded in his thigh. Don't know if he ever told my parents or not. He did get me back at me later by embedding a dart into my leg. It's a wonder we all lived!
That happens with break overs also, I hear.:blush:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my story is just as bad .. my brother and frens were shooting each other with benjamin .177 pump up rifle. we'd have bb's bouncing off our legs. we must have limited number of pumps.

that old benjamin .177 disappeared over the years. sure wish I'd still have that old bb gun, as that's all we shot through it.

next best thing .. did purchase several old benjamin pumps. most practical was old benjamin pump pistol .177. weight and trigger are well within range for transferable trigger time.

all you need is a cardboard box stuffed with rags and paper target. shoot that old benjamin pistol say 10,000+ times and you cannot help but improve!

DSCN3897-600x450.jpg

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Already posted this in the gun-related thread, but I unboxed the new Red Ryder BB gun today.

Can't say I'm impressed with the construction (there's more plastic than I expected), but if it's accurate, I can live with it. The stock length is surprisingly comfortable (I'm 6' 1").

There are some Daisy BBs around here somewhere, but I have other stuff to do today. Will try to post back when I get a chance to shoot it.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
got a 70's daisy model 96 in close to original condition .. been sitting forever and needs new seals.
shoots out BB's, velocity too low to penetrate cardboard.

borrowed this pic .. mine is about same condition
IMG_5046-600x450.jpg

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the old daisy model 96 has shot tube out with several teaspoons of marvel mystery oil soaking overnight.

found this:
Try pouring oil down the barrel with the shot tube out. This will work 75% of the time to increase the power or reseal it. I have had 4 or 5 that didnt even shoot when I got them. I would go home pour some 4in1 oil down the barrel and it would work like new. 4in1 houshold oil works great, I have heard that some people use automotive oil also??? Put the gun so the barrel will point up, then leave it like that for about 5-6 hours. After that shoot it a few times with the barrel still out (gets the excess oil out). Then replace the tube, and shoot it again a few times, before putting any BB's into it. Then go and try it. If this dosent work then you will need a new seal, but try this first before wasting money on something you may not need, as I almost did as I was wrongly informed that it needed a new seal that would cost $35+ when it didnt. Hope this helps.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If 4 in one oil is anything like the old 3 in one I wouldn't use it for anything but cutting/drilling oil. It will turn to gum after a short time and you will have a black sticky mess. Good old 30 weight would be much better.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If 4 in one oil is anything like the old 3 in one I wouldn't use it for anything but cutting/drilling oil. It will turn to gum after a short time and you will have a black sticky mess. Good old 30 weight would be much better.
The old 3-in-1 oil came in 2 varieties.

IIRC, one was made with vegetable oil, and it was the one that gunked up over time. Never had any trouble with the other one.

FWIW, I use ATF for about everything these days, including guns (if I had any).

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the old daisy model 96 has shot tube out with several teaspoons of marvel mystery oil soaking overnight.

found this:
Try pouring oil down the barrel with the shot tube out. This will work 75% of the time to increase the power or reseal it. I have had 4 or 5 that didnt even shoot when I got them. I would go home pour some 4in1 oil down the barrel and it would work like new. 4in1 houshold oil works great, I have heard that some people use automotive oil also??? Put the gun so the barrel will point up, then leave it like that for about 5-6 hours. After that shoot it a few times with the barrel still out (gets the excess oil out). Then replace the tube, and shoot it again a few times, before putting any BB's into it. Then go and try it. If this dosent work then you will need a new seal, but try this first before wasting money on something you may not need, as I almost did as I was wrongly informed that it needed a new seal that would cost $35+ when it didnt. Hope this helps.
I'd occasionally squirt oil down the barrel of my old Daisy as a kid. It would give it more zip for a few days.

It may also have a small hole in the receiver that says "oil," not sure... :scratch:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd occasionally squirt oil down the barrel of my old Daisy as a kid. It would give it more zip for a few days.

It may also have a small hole in the receiver that says "oil," not sure... :scratch:

that's the first thing I did was put airgun oil down every orifice. slight improvement, shoots without penetrating cardboard.

used marvel mystery oil, it will not gum up. .. poured out excess after overnight soak.
after shooting out excess oil, inserted tube and loaded up with BB's.

nope .. still no joy .. it got weaker, BB barely comes out now.
looks like new seals incoming ..

Latest posts

Top Bottom