Advice on 1911 carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new 1911 owner. I love the pistol at the range and I'm now a hooked 1911 fan. I will have more. :)

Mine is a 4" barrel and it carrys nicely. Not only am I new to 1911's but I am new to carrying as I just recently received my license. My question is this:
For those of you who carry 1911.... how do you carry it? Is is cocked and locked or uncocked but chambered, or unchanmbered?

I know it has some redundant saftey features (which I appreciate) but for some reason I'm still a little apprehensive about carrying it cocked, chambered with safety on.

Sorry if this seems like a really NEWB question but I'd like to get opinions.

Thank you!

Last edited:

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cocked and locked. That's the way it was designed to be carried.

Learn the function check:

1. DROP THE MAGAZINE AND EMPTY THE CHAMBER.
  2. VERIFY IT'S EMPTY.
  3. Safety on, without pressing the grip safety and with the hammer back, pull the trigger. Hammer should not drop.
  4. Safety off, without pressing the grip safety and with the hammer back, pull the trigger. Hammer should not drop.
  5. Safety on, pressing the grip safety and with the hammer back, pull the trigger. Hammer should not drop.
  6. Safety off, pressing the grip safety and with the hammer back, pull the trigger. Hammer should drop.

I carry this way in either a Milt Sparks Watch 6, or a SmartCarry. The latter idea unnerves my pastor a bit. ;)

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I'll go through that.
Yeh, I know that was how it was designed to carry I think its just gonna take me some time to learn to trust it and see how many others do. :)

Thanks again!

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That function check will help calm your mind, I think. And I understand changing the mindset. It does take time. Go through that FC every day for a week or so, and see how you feel. Good luck.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do what you need to be comfortable with it, but condition 1 (chamber loaded, hammer back, thumb safety on) is the only way I'll carry a 1911 pattern pistol. Anything less negates the advantage of a quick, single-action first shot that comes with the 1911 pistol design.
Practice so that it is almost instinct during a draw to move the thumb safety off once it is pointed in the general direction of the target. Keep the trigger finger off until you've decided to fire and the sights are aligned.

gunluvingirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried mine with one in the chamber and ready to go. Simply had to flip the thumb safety. The beauty of the 1911 style is the grip safety in addition to thumb safety. Overall, you must be comfortable...

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do what you need to be comfortable with it, but condition 1 (chamber loaded, hammer back, thumb safety on) is the only way I'll carry a 1911 pattern pistol. Anything less negates the advantage of a quick, single-action first shot that comes with the 1911 pistol design.
Practice so that it is almost instinct during a draw to move the thumb safety off once it is pointed in the general direction of the target. Keep the trigger finger off until you've decided to fire and the sights are aligned.

I definately want the "quick action advantage". Thats was part of the appeal. I think this is just a comfort level thing. I think the function check, your practice recommendation (which Ive thought about alot) and more familiarity with the 1911 will help me get past the mental block. LOL!

Thanks all!

Oily_Guy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember also that when your gun is holstered, the trigger is not accessible. This gives me an additional level of comfort and security. By the way, choose a good quality holster for carry. When you scimp on the holster, you will most likely end up spending more money trying different holsters than buying a good one to start with. My personal favorite is the Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

Latest posts

Top Bottom