Advice on 1911 carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what holster do you recommend for the 1911? I am 6'1'' 240 lbs.

I highly recommend Andrews Custom Leather holsters. He usually has a booth at the Wanenmacher Gun show and is an extremely nice guy. He does great work and I have been nothing but pleased with the holster and belt he made for me. I am 6'7" and 235lbs.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

Glocktogo's recommendation on Milt Sparks is another great one. I've never met anyone that has ever complained about an Andrews Leather or Milt Sparks holster.

Good luck.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting period on Sparks holsters tends to run 16-24 weeks. SOme retailers try to keep some in stock, but it's hit or miss. I'd try doing a google search to locate one.

The SSII is also a good choice. It's a little less expensive, but not quite as thin or comfortable. The favorite for most is the VM-2, but I found it to be less comfortable than the EX as well.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all are some big sum bitches. I am 5'11" and 150 lbs soaking wet, think I could make a 5" 1911 disappear? I don't, but I am curious what those who carry 1911's think based on their experiences.

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all are some big sum bitches. I am 5'11" and 150 lbs soaking wet, think I could make a 5" 1911 disappear? I don't, but I am curious what those who carry 1911's think based on their experiences.

I think some type of 1911 would be your best option for IWB or OWB carry. IME, the slim profile makes for a very comfortable rig. A 5" Gov't size 1911 might be a bit much for a slim guy like you but a Commander or a Colt Defender type 3" barrel might be the ticket. The issue with a Gov't size 1911 is the barrel gets in the way when you sit down. Otherwise,.. it's the same, the barrel just points down your leg.

Here is my Andrews holster. It is a piece of artwork!! I got the retention snap that goes between the back of the slide and the hammer. Very easy to open and draw.

IMG_0685.JPG

shorton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my 3 inch Kimber either in my concealed carry vest or in a serpa holster on my side, but always cocked and locked with one in the chamber. Thats why the gun has so many safety features, and thats the way it is designed to be carried. Welcome to the fantastic world of 1911's!

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom