Advice on 1911 carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, for the most part this has been a great thread. I appreciate it! I've been doing the function check, awesome piece of mind with that! It really made a difference for condition 1.
Ive put 75 more rounds through it and I'm starting to "get used to it" and I'm happy to say that I'm no longer condition 3! :)
As far as Holster goes I've got a DeSantis tuck this IWB, which I carry most often with, in the cross draw position. It seems fine to me.
:) I also have a Fobus paddle holster for the 1911 that I've worn to the range last time I went.
Although my 9mm is not what I carry, I had a Fobus Paddle for the 9mm first and Ive worn it to the range as well. I have to say I like it just fine. Both Fobus fit its respective gun well, carrys close to the body at a nice angle, seems very secure. I dunno, I'm still limited in my holster sampling and I'm sure Ive got lots of things left to look at. Got some nice ideas from this thread alone.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for the $ fobus is a fine holster. I have a couple and I also have 2 custom made kytex holsters for my 1911 that I use for competition. fobus is good for the range or a first timer comp holster on a budget. I wouldn't choose a fobus for CC and definitely no go for OC. I found out the hard way when my gun slipped out of my fobus and slammed on the concrete :( the retention screws loosen up often. make sure you check them before you use it.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for the $ fobus is a fine holster. I have a couple and I also have 2 custom made kytex holsters for my 1911 that I use for competition. fobus is good for the range or a first timer comp holster on a budget. I wouldn't choose a fobus for CC and definitely no go for OC. I found out the hard way when my gun slipped out of my fobus and slammed on the concrete :( the retention screws loosen up often. make sure you check them before you use it.
Thanks!

greezypete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first started carrying my 1911 I was afraid of cond. 1 at first. I read advice like someone gave a couple pages ago, of carrying it cocked and locked without one in the chamber for a while and see how many times the hammer dropped accidentally . After carrying this way for a month or so I finally got comfortable enough to go condition 1 and have never looked back.

Holster is a crossbred supertuck IWB. VERY comfortable.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, this thread now makes as much sense as watching the D league all star game. Carry the damn thing locked and cocked with one in the damn pipe, the way God and John Moses Browning designed it. Don't carry it in a damn Fobus. Blackhawk is okay, but a leather holster is better as it will fit the gun and you better. Save the Blackhawk for the Glocks et al. For the skinny kid, you can actually hide a 1911 better than the fat guys here. Trust me, I know. I used to be a kid... and a little skinnier.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So basically Fobus is fine if you aren't going to actually use it for anything. :D Even for a cheap competition holster they are junk and $20 is better spent towards something better. Learned the hard way myself.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Don't carry your gun and holster upside-down and it will be less likely to fall out of your holster.

@toehanus

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that after somebody spends major bucks on a gun like a 1911, they'll buy a one-size-fits-all or Fobus POS holster to carry it in. Ridiculous.

Your gun is a very expensive tool. Show your self and your gun some respect and invest in a quality leather rig that was designed to carry your gun. Cutting corners on a cheap holster is like buying a cheap engagement ring for your fiancé. It lacks common sense and, one way or another, it will come back to bite you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom