Advice on a Compact Tractor (35-40hp) for the homestead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve owned 1 JD 30hp and 3 Kubotas, and I still have two of the Kubotas...a 1996 L2900 and a 2001 L3010. My advice is to never buy new and watch Craigslist or FB Markerplace. There are deals to be had. I drove from Texas to Midwest City to buy one of my Kubotas.

I have a Kubota M7040 at my place up there, and it was several years old with only 450 hours on it. I paid about half what it cost when new. It was a Craigslist find and is my favorite tractor I’ve ever owned. My L3010 is my second favorite.

A Kubota L3010 is what I bought with my property. I need to do a full service on it, but everything works and starts easy. Good to hear you like yours so well.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went old iron, bought a 71 Ford 3000 diesel with a loader shortly after we bought the property 18 years ago for $5000.00. could sell it today for what I paid for it. Liked it well enough to buy another one so the wife and I could both mow at the same time. 2nd one is a 3600 which is the same tractor, just a model newer. Think they are around 47 hp. Has accomplished everything I have asked and some things I shouldn't have ha.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find a low hr good used Massy Ferguson in the 235-265 range they are sweet made little tractors. After using a few Kubotas in construction I am not particularly high on them as everyone else.

I currently have a JD 50hp. Yes its the cool farm green. It's a good tractor but when you work on it, the way some things are designed it borders on the absurd sometimes. The ONLY redeeming feature of a JD is I can have a 1925 poppin John and if they can't slide me a part right across the counter they can have it in about 3-4 days. Their parts support is unmatched but the tractors themselves border on being anal sometimes.

Big Red Case make a nice tractor but my god a the price. These and old Internationals, the old tan Case and White are the only other brands I have experience with. I don't know anything about the Indian made stuff.

But this is just a my personal experience and then we get into the silly Chevy vs Ford argument, or my daddy can whip your daddy.
Only tractors I've had experience with are the old Fordson, an Allis 190 XT "my CB handle was The Orange Crate", an Allis WD 45, an Allis D17 and a Case 930 long nose. The D17 had 49 horses, hydraulics, PTO and a 3 point. Best little tractor we had. It's still going on my uncles place. The XT and Case went to Nebraska.

Latest posts

Top Bottom